Leaf Roses

The neighbor's tree is shedding hundreds of acorns. I can hear them all day hitting the driveway, then in the evening I see him sweeping them up. Insert lightbulb moment here...I need some of those. I am not sure what for exactly, but I collect 2 coffee cans full. Research how to clean and preserve them. Rinse in a sink of water and a bit of vinegar, then bake at 200 Degrees for 2 hrs.
leaf roses, flowers, gardening
leaf roses, flowers, gardening
I collected some craft supplies from my stash that I thought I would use. I decided to chalk paint some mason jars. Use a bit of burlap, some wood slices and twine.
leaf roses, flowers, gardening
My huge maple trees are shedding leaves like crazy. I am in awe of the colours in the fall here in Annapolis Valley. I wanted to bring some of that inside. I had previously seen another crafting site show roses made from leaves and thought I would try my hand at it.
leaf roses, flowers, gardening
Hot glued some acorns in clusters.
leaf roses, flowers, gardening
Final product for my kitchen window sill.
leaf roses, flowers, gardening
Closer picture of the roses and leaf clusters. I didn't take any pics of the flowers while making them. But every craft blog or post shows how to make flowers or roses with ribbon. I used same technique. I folded the leaves over in half and made petals. You have to use the newly fallen and still soft leaves for this. I also gathered some leaves in clusters for another look. Kept them together with florist wire. All of these supplies, I had on hand. I didn't purchase anything for this project. Since I posted pics on my Facebook, friends and family are messaging and want me to make some for them.

• Melodie Miller-Hebb

Thanks for the step by step, these are BEAUTIFUL!! If you figure out what to use to preserve them, please share!!

• Barbara Canady

We used to have oak trees and I would collect the acorns for the squirrels. We had nice sized squirrels that knew where their next meal would come from.