ZENGARA Designs
ZENGARA Designs
  • Saint Cloud, FL

Unicorn SPiTwhisperer #SPiTchallenge

In order to tell you all the Unicorn SPiT story; I have to tell you mine. This may not be the average DIY post. But it is my personal DIY, because I did it myself, with a little help !
unicorn spitwhisperer spitchallenge, painted furniture
The use of the hashtag on this particular post is intentional; I wanted it to be seen. Most of you have heard about Unicorn SPiT vibrant colored stain recently. I read through the other posts, and my SPiT peers are so entirely talented and creative. But I wanted to share the most important benefit of Unicorn SPiT with all of you; It's quite literally therapeutic ! I remember finding the banner add on Facebook, clicking on the page and reading Michelle Nicole's story. She was offering a free jar to the first 100 customers to order a full set. I ordered immediately, and panicked ! I sent Michelle an email telling her that I wanted the jars, even if I wasn't one of the first 100, but was really hoping. She had no idea I suffered from an anxiety disorder, and desperately wanted to try her products.
My Unicorn SPiT order arrived about a week after ordering, and just in time. I was about to give up on my dream to have a business re'designing furniture. The very idea of a client being displeased with my work was almost too much to overcome. My work was suffering. Those jars....oh, how they offered just one more chance !
The colors promote happiness, the jasmine scent allows serenity, and the texture makes you want to dive right in; fingers and hands. It;s non-toxic, doesn't irritate your skin, and every color seems to blend well with the others. I felt like someone opened a window, and I could breathe again.
I hadn't prepared anything to try my SPiT with, so...yep, I asked my husband to sand down the top of my personal piece; an Ethan Allen buffet I had picked up at a yard sale for $50. Please don't shake your head...lol...it was UGLY...it needed to be pretty; Ethan Allen or not.
It gave me absolutely no inspiration, and sat in our dining room, plain and stoic ....UNTIL.......I gave Michelle Nicole's famous AURA BLAST technique a try. THIS....is my very first SPiT project. I remember sending the pictures to Michelle via Facebook, and wondering if she would think I had completely "botched" her technique. Well, like her amazing products, she too was accepting, supportive and encouraging !
However, keeping in character, worried about acceptance, I began to work with muted tones, and the more subtle techniques. Ahh, that anxiety was still rearing up.
My third SPiT project was a simple accent table, still subtle, beachy, and quite amateur...But..... I did list this for sale and it sold quickly and for a decent price. My confidence was elevated...a little.
But enough to begin working in bolder colors. This is my very first pallet board wall art piece in honor of Michelle, and the birthplace of Unicorn SPiT; you guessed it...Kansas !!!
I began finding SPiTspiration in everything ! My world was brighter, and my anxiety quelled when I was working with Unicorn SPiT.
Are you all seeing it ? The project chronology illustrates the building of my confidence in my work as well as blossoming creativity. Brighter, happier, my inner gypsy began to sing !
Yes.....I even went as far as mixing colors to create custom pallets. Here's an example of a coral color I made. Amazing what one can accomplish when your mind is free from negative thoughts.
My absolute favorite color to work with...Molly Red Pepper !
I soon discovered my passion for stenciling over Unicorn SPiT; giving my work a dimensional feel.
Not afraid anymore. I have tried every technique; some with success, others, no so much. But the more I worked with Unicorn SPiT, the less the symptoms of social anxiety plagued my days. Michelle Nicole's dream is to have Unicorn SPiT become a medium for art therapy; what she may not realize is; it already has ! It is my pleasure to tell everyone about Unicorn SPiT; the benefits, and artistic uses !
Go bold or go home ! I no longer worry if others will like or accept my work. I'm not free from that feeling of being different, but I have found a place where different equates to artist. Without the support of Michelle Nicole and my SPiT sisters, I could not create freely and with new found confidence. Not only did Unicorn SPiT provide therapy for my mind; it is good for my soul, and the people I have come to know through Unicorn SPiT have become my most cherished friends. I can only hope this post encourages others to try Unicorn SPiT, and discover for themselves the myriad of benefits; both personally and professionally.

• Jackie R

What is SPIT? Acryllic, Latex, Oil, ? And where do we get it?

• ZENGARA Designs

@Jackie R so sorry......my answer to your question is in the comments.... :) thanks so much for your inquiry

• Heather Pauley

How did you get your dragon stencils so crisp? I LOVE that piece. Good job (:

• ZENGARA Designs

@Heather Pauley I'm sorry for the delay in response...those silly holidays have me so backed up.... I love stencil work and with lots of practice, I have made it sort of my signature...the dragon is actually meant for an airbrush, but in this case, I used a stippling brush and thick chalk paint....it took a long time to achieve, one "dot dot dot" at a time...the trick is patience, and a thicker paint that won't "run" under the stencil.

• Michelle Morgan

Im reallyinspired by this post. I too suffer from anxiety and depression and am trying to start a refurbishing/renewing old furniture home business. Ive had my kit of unicorn spit over a month and am terrified to use it. Its overwhelmed me and ive been only watching video after video. But no courage to put onto a piece of furniture yet. I have lots of pieces that ive just been sanding. But am finding ut hard to find posts or blogs with more detailed accounts of how they achieved exactly what and how they got their desired looks. Im still scared of using it...but this inspired me to put it on some wood today and see what happens!!!! Thanks for your post!!

• Michelle Morgan

Sorry this was for Zengara designs!!

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

OK that's really weird! This is my second comment/question of a personal nature regarding your artwork.
    I have to HAVE the " there's no place like home" sign...I was born and raised in Kansas... I have to have that!! Anyway you can make me one? That is absolutely gorgeous and I'm in love with it and I have been missing Home more than ever lately!
    I've been in Connecticut for about 14 -15 years now. I moved here when I was about 24 and I love the hustle and bustle but Now that I'm getting older and wiser.. i'm slowing down a bit... I miss the farm I was raised on... seeing the stars shine at night, the cicadas singing me to sleep, fresh air and wide open spaces... I miss home and my family So much lately. My oldest son, zach, whose 24 now, moved back to Emporia, Kansas about two years ago and I miss him terribly. My youngest son just graduated from high school and he's talking about moving back. I guess you can take the girl out of Kansas but you cannot take Kansas out of the girl OR her boys!!!
    lol!!! Really that sign is so sweet. Is there a tutorial for it???please and thank you xoxo

• ZENGARA Designs

Aww...... thanks so much for sharing !!! .....I don't have a tutorial on that particular sign.....I suppose I can do one !!! ...lol. If you are interested .....I will gladly make one..... the best way to reach me for more info is on Facebook !! ZENgara Designs, or please feel free to message me personally Randi Dalfonzo
  • Pam

Are you on you tube love your work pam

• ZENGARA Designs

SPiT, or Unicorn SPiT, is a water based, non-toxic stain that can be used as a glaze, and/or paint, as well.....for more info, and ordering go to www.UnicornSPiT.com

• Heather

Thank you for sharing your story with us, and no one can fail to be inspired. Your work is beautiful . I sincerely wish you the best of everything in your life and your business :)