Barbara S
Barbara S
  • Las Vegas, NV
Asked on Feb 27, 2013

What in the world will grow in Las Vegas??? I love the spring and am from Washington State, It gets so so hot here!!

Dee LoweLawn ProDouglas Hunt
+1

What can I plant now that will live?! What will live through the summer? I LOVE COLOR and I am so frustrated!! Thanks for any ideas!! Barbara
  • 3po3

There are always succulents. Also, I recommend visiting a good nursery in your area (not the big box store garden section but an independent nursery). These folks might be able to help you find some help: http://www.unce.unr.edu/programs/sites/mastergardener/southern/

Lin Mills, gardening columnist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal, offers this list of perennials to add color to a desert garden: autumn sage, bearded iris, black-eyed Susan, brittlebush, bush morning glory, candytuft, mum, columbine, daylily, dusty miller, four-o'clock, gaillardia, geranium, globe mallow, lantana, lavender, liriope, marguerite daisy, Mexican honeysuckle, penstemon, Peruvian verbena, potentilla, autumn joy, Shasta daisy, snow-in-summer, sunray, red-hot poker and rosemary.

• Lawn Pro

contact a landscaper in that area,there are a multitude of options for you.Make shure you get some Mexican petunias,they love the heat,and drought.

• Dee Lowe

Barbara S. how are you doing with the landscaping? I too am learning how to get anything to survive in the las vegas heat. This will be my second summer here. One of the important things I learned is FALL is your friend. I buy alot from Lowe's clearance section. When I bring home a new plant I gradually introduce it to full sun. I water deep in the early morning & a little less often. Would love to hear how you are doing & what is working for you.

, This is huge area I am trying to do something with Full hot sun all day