Mish Volonino
Mish Volonino
  • Hendersonville, TN

DIY Granny Shopping Cart Laundry Hamper

I think by far this is my favorite DIY project. I found this granny cart at a garage sale for $8. I had this idea to create a really cool Laundry Basket that I could also use as a decorative piece in my master bath.
diy granny shopping cart laundry hamper, crafts, repurposing upcycling
It was red and a little rusty but no worries. I cleaned it up, stripped the plastic coating on the handles, and prepped to paint it with Rustoleum Paint and Primer in mat black.
Once the paint was dry I wrapped the handle with jute twine, using elders blue glue as I wrapped it.
I then drafted our a simple pattern to sew the drop in insert, which is made of drop cloth and burlap. It was relatively easy (if you know how to sew). I just modified the ties as I was sewing.
I need to make a stencil for the "Laundry" word so I worked on Adobe Photoshop. I printed my word out and used a acetate sheet with my stencil burner. For any crafter out there, a stencil burner and acetate sheets are a must have. It is so easy to create stencil templates for gifts and home decor.
It really came out fantastic. So much that the first one sold in the first house I staged. If you can sew, this is a great project. Take a look on Pinterest and see how creative some girls are with their granny carts.
Functional and pretty. Love this hamper!

• Cha9656575

Is a stencil burner the same as a wood burner? Just keep one separate from the other?

• Debbie

I would like to see a class also on how to cut stencils and how to use them afterwards. Thank you

• Mab17680452

Where did you purchase your dressing stool? Thank you.

• Cindy Martin

Can you make me one that says Blankets on it ?

• Sheila Giustino

Going to try, being I don't sew am going try fusing tape, it not like liner is going to be washed often .