How To Clean Your Stove Grates

I am going to show you the easy way to clean your stove burner grates. No more scrubbing your fingers off. A few simple supplies and a warm day are all you need. Now is the time to get your stove clean for all your holiday parties.
Above are my clean grates. They were covered in cooked on black splattered crud but now my stove looks so clean and shiny.
Here is what you need:
ammonia
large plastic zip lock bag or black trash bag
cookie sheet
measuring cup
rubber gloves
sunshine on a warm day works best
Take your stove grates and put them in your large sealable bag or a large black trash bag. Set on the cookie sheet and pour one cup of the ammonia into the bag. Ammonia is strong so try not to breathe the fumes in.
Let the burner grates sit for at least 24 hours. A warm or hot sunny day is best. The heat helps cook the baked on crud off of the grates.
When you get ready to dump, quickly pour into the sink and rinse well. Anything left on the grates should be easy to now scrub off with a sponge and a little Dawn or cleanser.
I like to do this about every three months or so. Remember to only do two at a time so you can still use your stove or even better order take out!

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Sunny Simple Life

• Karen Stutzman
    Karen Stutzman

I wonder if this would work on grill grates. Hate that project!!!

• PamPam
      PamPam

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I clean my grill grates by putting them in the oven when I run the self-cleaning cycle.

• PamPam
    PamPam

Do the grates have to be submerged in the amonia? She said use a cupful and that wouldn't cover her stove grates.

• Caesd4
      Caesd4

No, I did it before, just put the grates in a trash bag, throw in the ammonia, tightly close the bag and let it sit out in the sun a sunny day for the afternoon and then washed them off in the sink, it worked wonderfully!! (I think it's the fumes that help clean them.)

• Becky
    Becky

An you do this for your oven racks?

• Cherease
    Cherease

This works! My friend helped me clean my stove burner trays on an electric stove and we soaked two per bag in the ammonia and it really did the trick. I wish I had taken some before and after pics because the results were unbelievable. They looked like they needed to be replaced but the ammonia did the trick. They looked practically new after we were done.

• Gloria
    Gloria

Or u can boil ur grates in a large pot for about 2 to 3 hours, and then they will be just like new.