SweetPea Paula
SweetPea Paula
  • Lynchburg, VA

Vintage Teacher's Desk Makeover

If you've been around for a few years, you know that desks like this one were standard for teachers. In my lifetime I can't recall seeing one in a classroom but my mom had one that she bought at an auction. I found this desk at Goodwill for just $20 and gave it a refreshed look. I know that this is a teacher's desk because when I took the drawers out, I found a ditto sheet stuffed in the back. If you
vintage teacher s desk makeover, painted furniture
This desk doesn't look so large in the picture but believe me, it is a beast! With the drawers in, I didn't stand a chance of being able to load it into our truck. (My sweet husband left work to pick up this piece. Thank goodness it wasn't raining that day!) Two college boys who were Goodwill shopping were kind enough to help my husband load this big boy. It barely fit into the bed of our Ranger!
Luckily the desk was in great structural condition and all that was needed to give it a makeover was to sand it and then give it a coat of stain. After staining I added a topcoat for protection. To add some contrast, I painted the desk handles black followed by a coat of liquid wax for protection.
Visit my blog to learn more about this beautiful old desk.
SweetPea Paula

• MILAGROSR9

Love the desk, but the chair with the wicker seat got my attention. What it the name of the chair?

• MILAGROSR9

The wicker chair in the first photo, what's the style? Oh my God, love your desk.

• Kaye

How did you ever get it clean? I just got one almost identical and it is killing me. I am now down to Krud Kutter and assorted putty knives before I and and then stain. I am hoping to be able to paint the side panels and stain the true oak. Additionally, boiled linseed oil was the stain/protection of choice.

You are right what a beast - and I only have one set of drawers.

• Hannah V

What a beautiful piece!

• Kaye

Outstanding work. I just purchased one that I hope I can do as well on as you did. Good oak should never be painted. Sometimes items have to be painted as a last resort. Glad to see yours didn't. Keep your fingers crossed for mine.