Stephanie
Stephanie
  • Smyrna, GA
Asked on Dec 3, 2011

Have some older(~100 yrs) furniture w/wood (thin boards, not plywood)backs - looks very dry.

Terra GazelleRose SKMS Woodworks
+21

How best to "feed" the wood? Thanks.
  • Good old furniture oil should do the trick for you.

• KMS Woodworks

I use a product from Howards...its a feed + wax. http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

• Rose S

I have had that problem as well and used Liquid God. Not the spray but the actual liquid. Good luck.

• Donna McCrummen

I like Liquid Gold and Howards Bees Wax.

• Stephanie

Thanks everyone - not sure which I'll try 1st.

• Carole

I like lemon oil, have used it on several old pieces

• "Formby's" makes many different products that might help here. One that comes to mind is called tongue oil. They are sold at Home Depot.

• Carole

I have used tongue oil, on several old pieces of furniture that I have. It works great.

• KMS Woodworks

Carole...its Tung oil...not Tongue.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil The use of Tung oil would be a bit like applying an additional varnish coat as tung oil is a drying oil...the citrus wax based product are "renewable" as they do not Harden like tung oil

• KMS I will tell my dog that. He uses Tongue oil every time my wife uses lemon oil on our furniture.

• KMS Woodworks

We have a small wiener dog...who routinely "mops" the floor with her tongue...to bad it is such a small dog with a little tongue....I keep telling her she missed a spot but she just does not seem to understand.

• Rose S

KMS Woodworks, I had to laugh at your response. My Wiener dog uses the tongue an me when he is so glad that I did come back into the house and didn't desert him. Then his little tail and his tongue go to work. He will be 19 by the end of this week. I aim to keep him until he just stops breathing.

• KMS Woodworks

Rose...our wiener is 13...and as crazy as a coot...its a wonder she is not dead already. She routinely attacks German Shepard size dogs, we wonder how much longer she will be with us...another 6 years my make us crazy too.

• Rose S

Not to worry, should it happen - you can do it. I am doing doggy hospice right now, but it is worth it. The vet already wanted to put him down, and asked for more time. Our pets are family.

• Its sad when we loose a pet. Especially when they live in our home. My best wishes for your doggy and your family.

• Rose S

Thank you, just this minute I decided to call the vet to put Jerry out of his misery. I believe that I have been hanging on to him for me, instead of thinking of the dog. I keep telling myself that I can do it.

• Terra Gazelle

@Rose S Rose, I had to have my cat Sage put to rest. She was 19 and ill...I had her since she was 4 weeks old and my friend. I am so sorry that you have this loss.

Rose, I know what a difficult decision that is. I am sure you are doing the right thing for Jerry and our thoughts are with you.

• KMS Woodworks

Rose....Our hearts go out to you.

• Rose S

Thank you for your empathy. It is so good to know that there are folks out there with a heart. Time does take care of some things.

• Rose S

Well, it is done, and I am sitting here, crying for my best buddy, but he is at peace - if dog's can be that way. Surely, if Heaven promises us all wonderful things, then they must have dogs there as well. Thank you all, your comments are much appreciated. It is nice to have such emphatic internet friends. :-)

• KMS Woodworks

Rose, a friend of mine is a writer and dog lover...he has few Kindle and hard copy books. http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Dogs-in-Heaven-ebook/dp/B005NIASBA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top I have been following his blog for a few years

• Rose S

Thank you very much for the lead. I don't have a Kindle, but Amazon has them in hard cover. I was just thinking, it has been 45 years since I was all alone - that is a lifetime.

• Terra Gazelle

I had an old dresser that had been completely abused..it was so dry, I really thought it was not good for anything. I used Hemp oil and lemon oil and then did the wood that the drawers slid on with bees wax..and that thing soaked up all that oil..I kept rubbing the oils in until that dresser shone and looked healthy again.