Laundry Room Shelving Makeover

I love updating my home and one of the places in my home that has really needed an update is my laundry room. I have a decent size laundry room but there is an ordinary wire shelf over the washer and dryer that was not the prettiest and it was also a bit too high up for me to reach. I replaced it with some ClosetMaid shelving and built them in to look a bit nicer. Here's how I did it.
laundry room shelving makeover, laundry rooms, organizing, shelving ideas
I was able to finally update this room with a mini laundry room make-over and I love how a few simple changes transformed this room into a beautiful and usable space. A big huge thank you to HomeRight today for inspiring me to get creative with today's hack!
Here's where we began. The wire shelving was big and functional, but it lacked a lot in the style department.
Because my laundry room wall is so big, I decided to pick up two of these ClosetMaid 6 Espresso Laminate Storage Cubes, some trim, paint and stain. We began by assembling the storage unit, I left off the back. Then I used my FinishMax to spray primer onto the cabinet. After the unit was primered, I filled my FinishMax up with Valspar's Chalky Finish paint and gave the units and trim a few light coats with plenty of dry time in between.
After determining where we wanted the new storage units to be, we attached 1x2 directly onto the walls below where the bottom of the shelf would sit by using liquid nail and a nail gun. Then we installed the storage units by resting them on the 1x2 and used liquid nail and a nail gun to attach them to the 1x2and the wall on the side of the dresser. We also made sure to use the wall bracket included to attach the units to the wall.
We added the trim and did the touch up.
If you noticed. I have a space about 15 between my two shelving units. I decided to use this space to add a bit of character to my laundry room. I used steel flanges to attach steel pipe to the wall. We cut 12 wide boards to fit the space and stained them. Then I placed the wood on top of the pipe.
I love how this makeover turned out! For a detailed supply list and instructions, visit me at Simply Designing!

SimplyDesigning

• Suz

Looks very nice and neat, but now where do you hang or keep all your hangers?

• DK

If you hang a towel bar on the bottom of your wall cabinet you can hang hangers there or clothes as I come out of the dryer. It looks like you have some space beside the washer that is open.

• Kelli Cisko-Kids

how did you attach the shelves to the wall in the middle of the wall?

• CarlyTee

Kelli, I just found this on her blog. It’s actually a different project but the same concept as the shelves.

• Tammy Stoll

I was also wondering where u hang things now

• Margarita

Thank you for the inspiration. I recently finished my laundry room makeover. It came out wonderfully and I did it all myyself, except for the one nail my husband hammered. 😉

• Diana67

Love this