Dishes of Darkness {Pottery Barn Inspired Halloween Plates}

$1

Since last year, I've been eyeballing Pottery Barn Halloween appetizer plates. Instead of using them as normal dishes, my plan was to use them as decor pieces around the house. Figures, by the time I finally decided to buy them, Pottery Barn wasn't carrying them any more.
Here are the plates that Pottery Barn used to sell.
Well... What does a crafty one do when she can't get the original? Make something similar! With that plan in mind, I started searching for some plates that I could use to create similar Halloween plates. Luckily, around Easter time I found 4 light cream color plates at Mom's thrift shop, Second Chance Shop. The plates not only were excellent for the job, but also were a dollar each. Even better, Second Chance Shop had the Easter sale going on so all items were 75% off and 4 plates cost me only a dollar in total.
Seeing beautiful Halloween indoor decorations online, I thought I should start working on my Halloween plate project. So I took the plates from storage and I started looking for some eery images to transfer to the plates. I found some great images online, but if I only used the images the plates would look rather empty. So I added Halloween poems as the background of those images. After two evenings of work I was pretty happy with the final version of the images. If you'd like to use these images for your own projects you can find them on our blog post. With my usual method of image transfer I transferred above images to my 25 plates. Once the images were transferred I applied protective glazing spray.
I am really happy the way they turned out!
Unfortunately they can't be used for serving food, but my plan was to use them purely as Halloween decoration... And they are perfect for that purpose!
Don't you agree?

Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Deb

I realize that you did these almost 3 years ago but they are still super awesome! I'd love to try some. I have clear glass & also ceramic plates just begging to be used in some way some how! Thank you for a brilliant idea!

• Terese

They look really great and the plate stands are beautiful