Dina S
Dina S
  • Lakewood, NJ
Asked on Feb 28, 2013

should I skip the laminate idea for kitchen and use vinyl?

LouiseLandlightS3po3
+2

my kitchen floor now is vinyl linoleum. if I want to lay it myself i'd have to use the self stick vinyl tiles. i was told it's approx. 360 sq. ft.
  • Kimberly Barney

There are vinyl tiles that lock together that come in a wood look. There are vinyl tiles that come in sets like two or three tiles all together that look like they have mortar between the tiles that overlap with adhesive strips that are removable. Instead of getting the self-stick single tiles, you may want ot think about these products instead. They can be cut with a good shape knife for trimming around corners.

• Designs by BSB

If I were to choose ? Id choose vinyl. no seams... no tapping sounds, super easy clean.

• 3po3

Between those two, I would definitely go with vinyl.

• LandlightS

A word of caution when using self stick vinyl tiles. After a short period of time, the embossed pattern of the old floor will show through on the new tiles Luxuary Vinyl Tiles can be used over the old vinyl floor with no see through of the old floor. That is what Kimberly was speaking of...it can be installed over the old floor and is available with a grout line and with out. Also available is a floating engineered wood floor that installs the same as a laminate floor. Good luck with your new floor Gary

• Louise

We used Shaw luxury vinyl plank flooring throughout our house due to allergies. It is beautiful, quiet, easy to stand on in the kitchen and not cold like ceramic or porcelain tile. It did not outgas. My husband installed it easily. Be sure the floor is free of debris and definitely use the roll vinyl underlayment.