Blood Candles

$3
1 Day

With All Hallows Eve approaching, my focus has finally shifted to the Halloween props. I am panicking a little bit, as I don't want to end up having countless ongoing projects in hand with none completed. So I put everything else aside and started to work on a Halloween tree project which I'll post sometime next week. Until then I thought I should give you a little eye candy by showing you the blood candles I made last year.
Although this was a fun and easy project, it was rather time consuming. But I promise the time is totally worth it as it makes an excellent addition to Halloween scenes. You will need cardboard tubes, black & burgundy red craft paint, battery operated tea light candles, masking tape, hot glue and a paint brush for this project.

Before we go any further, I just want to mention I used really thick cardboard tubes, because I wanted my candles to be really sturdy. The tubes I used were from rolls of landscape fabric, but anything will do, from toilet paper tubes to paper towel tubes. And if you want your candles sturdier than mine, then you can even use PVC pipes.
If you choose to use paper towel or toilet paper tubes and if you are happy with their heights you can skip this first step. For any kind of thick and long cardboard tube or PVC pipe you start this project with cutting the tubes to the desired sizes.
I asked Greg to cut my cardboard tubes with all different heights, because I wanted to have a little movement in the whole view.
After cutting the tubes, I lined them into a how I would like to see the whole setting.

Next, I cut a piece of masking tape and started working on making the blood candles.

Now that my candles were complete, I wanted to jazz it up a little bit. I added a plastic skull, a creepy cloth and some plastic Halloween creepers here and there. These additions made all the difference.

Here is my blood candles prop in our fireplace. It doesn't look scary, but surely it looks very Gothic. Don't you agree?
I like it much better with the candles lit.
I hope you liked my blood candles. If so, I think you will also like my magical floating potion bottle.
Now that is pretty cool, isn't it? It is also as easy as the blood candles and makes a great conversation piece! All the kids in your neighborhood will be wondering how you made a bottle float ;-)

But if you think, the potion bottle or the blood candles are too spooky for you, perhaps you'd like to give our Cousin Itt a try. He is the cutest Halloween prop we have, and he is the easiest prop to make.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading and happy crafting!

Handan, xo

• Cardboard tubes
  • Paint

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Sharon Bailey
    Sharon Bailey

How do you turn the tea lights on?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Sharon Bailey,

Don't feel embarrassed about your question, It happens to the best of us...

• Joanie
    Joanie

I really like the blood candles. They look like something you bought .......really nice Halloween decor. You said you were cutting your tubes.....did you also cut into your fingers????? Be careful!!

• Anna Y
    Anna Y

Great job! I am planning on making some for Halloween.

• Diane
    Diane

Love this blood candle idea. We do a pirates den every year in our garage for the kids in our neighborhood. We have a ton of kids come through, last year close to 300. This will be an awesome addition to the pirate abode....thanks for the idea🥰