Good Gardening Advice I Ignored For Too Long

No matter how much we try to advise, change, coerce, convince, or cajole one another (and ourselves and other things), real change takes its own sweet time. Not only is this true for growing a garden, but for the growing gardener as well.
Here's a few lessons I was better-late-than-never to learn. And I'm sure there's lots more to come. http://www.empressofdirt.net
Please share yours as well.
It took years for my garden to grow like this, mainly because I stubbornly refused to follow some basic, good advice.
1. The health of the soil IS the health of the plants. How's this for clay soil? Early on I couldn't stand to spend money on anything other than plants when I should have been investing in good soil and compost.
2.If someone offers you a fast-growing plant, run the other way. Focus on native plants, not invasives that take over your garden like this goutweed did for me. Fast does not equal good.
3. Focus on diversity in the garden, rather than treating specific pests. For example, the red lily beetles devoured my lily bed until I spread the lilies throughout the garden and the beetles couldn't find them as easily.
4. Use raised beds to escape bad soil. When I finally added raised beds, I could grow anything I wanted like these veggies .
5. The best garden teacher is the garden itself. Try. Watch. Listen. Adapt. And enjoy!
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Catherine Smith

Great advice. :)

• Paula Kay

I have good old Oklahoma clay! I have gardened for years, but I am switching to raised beds this year due to health reasons. Hope they work!