Repurposed Fan Mail Holder

I had this fan. It lasted only a couple of years until the motor burned out. Now it's trash. Bummer. When it squealed, we thought maybe dust? It was clean. Maybe oil? So we oiled it up. It lasted one more night. The squealing started again and it smelled like it would be trouble. I had a floor model that behaved similar and it blew up with sparks in front of me. So, we weren't taking chances with this one.
repurposed fan mail holder, organizing, repurposing upcycling
I loved that fan. It tilted. It was a cute little bugger. I hated to toss it out. So I wondered what to do with its remains. I know if you "google" repurposed fans, you will find everybody turns them into lamps. We didn't need any lamps.

But what I DID see in that fan frame was a mail holder. Mail holders are not outdated because some of us still believe in paying bills the old fashioned way.
So I took the fan completely apart.
Envisioning the front cut and opened up for a mail holder, I drew a line to cut off one half of the front frame.
Using a metal cutting blade on my cutting tool, I cut the front in half. Then replaced it with it's original screws.
I wanted the bronze oiled look, so I spray painted the metal remains.
And there it was. Exactly as I envisioned.
It's large enough to hold a whole week of mail.
It's kind of a basket... but it's a functional repurpose! A piece of junk turned into a mail holder.
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

• Nancy

Very nice idea u think its cute and yes it can be used a a fruit basket aswell loving it..... i have a black fan same size and if it starrts acting crazy its gonna get turn into a basket lol thanks for sharing love it😍

• Nancy

Sorry my internet is acting up it can be used as a fruit basket as well nice job

• AdamTomBar

Cool Cool Cool !!