Donna McCrummen
Donna McCrummen
  • Bernardsville, NJ
Asked on Dec 6, 2011

Day before Halloween = freak snow storm, no power for over a week.

Donna McCrummenPatricia MBernice H
+5

A week before Thanksgiving = dishwasher breaks down the new one arrives just in time! Three weeks before Christmas = Refrigerator breaks down!!! We had already researched which new one we wanted BUT it is about an inch too wide for our space. The question is how do we shave (plane?) down the sides of the cabinet enclosure so it's nice and smooth and the fridge will fit? We'll need 3/8 inches on top and 1 5/8 inches on the sides. There is enough lip on one side to lose the 1 5/8 but I'm not sure what tools to use to get a nice smooth cut.
  • Donna McCrummen

Oops, mistake. The width of the opening is 33" the width of the fridge is 33.5" - we have 1 5/8 to play with - so we need to lose a half inch of the lip. Same question I guess. Hmm

• KMS Woodworks

Is this a laminate counter over a particle board core? If so I would rough out the cut with a circular saw then do some clean up work with a laminate trimmer. The back corner would need to be finessed with a recip saw once the circular saw butts ups at the backsplash. The very back corner could be cleaned up with a RO sander.

• 3po3

I would pick a new fridge, but that's just me.

• This can be done Donna, I would use a router with a guide to assure the cut goes smooth. A plane can work, but the edge can become uneven quite quick. The last few inches where the router cannot reach a good quality fine tooth trim saw can finish that part. Happy Holidays!

• Bernice H

We had a series of "stuff" happen a few years ago, this brought back those memories! A few thousand dollars later, we finally breathed a sigh of relief. Thank goodness for Dave Ramsey and his advice of having emergency money saved. Hang in there, this too shall pass!

• Donna McCrummen

@Steve, I would take the easy route but this is the only stainless steel fridge that will even come close to fitting. They are so big these days. Thank you Woodbridge and KMS. I think I get what you're saying :-) just to be clear the opening for the fridge is boxed in vertically not up against a counter.

• Patricia M

Oops, sorry to hit 'like'....I hope everything works out for you, Donna.

• Donna McCrummen

LOL thanks Patricia M. I'm sure I can do it - it's just a matter of using the right tools, etc.