DIY Passion
DIY Passion
  • Canada

DIY Faux Concrete Planters

$10

You know when the thrift store deities deliver exactly what you need? Well that happened to me when I found these little plywood planters for $6 each a couple of weeks ago. I've wanted something to flank our front door and these fit the bill.
diy faux concrete planters, crafts
However, recently - I've been lusting after concrete planters. I just don't have the budget to splurge. So I decided to make these little wooden guys LOOK like concrete!
diy faux concrete planters, crafts
First step was a dry brush coat with white, followed by grey with a cup of water, a damp rag and a smaller craft brush. Painting these little bricks was not fun, guys. Holy moly.
diy faux concrete planters, crafts
The next step is a bit messy, so use a drop cloth! I propped my planters upside down on my work bench and spritzed them with a bit of water. Then I sprinkled them with Plaster of Paris and 'smooshed' it onto the 'bricks' and into the cracks with my fingers. I tried to keep the mess to a minimum - but using your hands at this point will just be best. It's all washable! :)
Let the plaster dry overnight and then spray seal them. I put them outside yesterday and OF COURSE we had a rain storm! They held up perfectly! For more detailed instructions and close up photos, head on over to our blog :) Thanks for reading!
diy faux concrete planters, crafts

DIY Passion