DIY Faux Concrete Planters

$10

You know when the thrift store deities deliver exactly what you need? Well that happened to me when I found these little plywood planters for $6 each a couple of weeks ago. I've wanted something to flank our front door and these fit the bill.
However, recently - I've been lusting after concrete planters. I just don't have the budget to splurge. So I decided to make these little wooden guys LOOK like concrete!
First step was a dry brush coat with white, followed by grey with a cup of water, a damp rag and a smaller craft brush. Painting these little bricks was not fun, guys. Holy moly.
The next step is a bit messy, so use a drop cloth! I propped my planters upside down on my work bench and spritzed them with a bit of water. Then I sprinkled them with Plaster of Paris and 'smooshed' it onto the 'bricks' and into the cracks with my fingers. I tried to keep the mess to a minimum - but using your hands at this point will just be best. It's all washable! :)
Let the plaster dry overnight and then spray seal them. I put them outside yesterday and OF COURSE we had a rain storm! They held up perfectly! For more detailed instructions and close up photos, head on over to our blog :) Thanks for reading!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
DIY Passion