Just a Coffee Table? No Way - This is Art. #SPiTchallenge

Well I have this fabulous friend. Her name is Gina. Gina knew that I was dabbling in this whole furniture repurposing thing so she provided me with the perfect pallet for my Unicorn SPiT Stain & Glaze in One.
Gina's Table
Gina's Table
Here's my pallet. Check this coffee table!! Fabulous piece on its own because it is solid, and no issues. Time to get to work!
The blank canvas
The blank canvas
Of course, there is sanding. I needed to get the top down to the bare wood and it took a while. But look at the result! Couldn't ask for more beautiful grain to work with!
The beginning of color wonder
The beginning of color wonder
I have a passion for blending the colors. I think I used nearly every color on this table that Unicorn SPiT offers. But my trick is to just blend, blend, blend. I use a lot of water sometimes to put the colors together and soften them. When you use water, you dilute the SPiT to just a stain and it does take the glaze effect away.
Wow.. deep, rich, color
Wow.. deep, rich, color
First coat of poly on. Look how it deepens the richness of the colors and how they are bringing the wood to life! The grain peeking through is the best part!
Stain the Edges
Stain the Edges
I used Zia Teal Unicorn SPiT to do the edge of the table top. It also has some grain poking through and almost looks distressed.
Yummy!
Yummy!
I painted the base with an off-white chalk paint and sealed it with a General Finishes top coat.
I'm in Love
I'm in Love
I didn't have to do a thing to the pulls on the drawers... they were cool to begin with.
"Magical Unicorn" Coffee Table
"Magical Unicorn" Coffee Table
My "Magical Unicorn" Coffee Table is complete. Isn't she beautiful???? This table is part of what inspired me to focus on just wood art. Seeing how these colors bring such life to wood brought life to me!
All Her Glory
All Her Glory
Thank you Gina!! For giving me this gorgeous canvas!

Susi Schuele

• Chelsea Stallings

Hi! I love this table. Since you sold out, I've decided to take a stab at it myself. Can you tell me which US colors you used and how did you apply them? With your hand or a brush? Did you dilute using a spray bottle once the stain was on the table or did you dilute the stain before you put it on the table?

• Susi Schuele

Hi Chelsea! I used several colors and it's always hard for me to remember my exact formula :). I know I used Zia Teal, Blue Thunder, Dragons Belly and Purple Hill Majesty at a minimum. There may be a little Molly Red Pepper as well. I always use my hand on all of my art and functional art. And yes, I spray water directly on the stain to move and blend it. I don't dilute it beforehand. I used only Zia for the edge and the base is chalk paint with A General Finishes top coat. Hope that helps and good luck!!

• Mrs24291515

I am in Illinois and I love this. Where do you buy these products
    • Mrs24291515

• Cap28337804

I got a new dinning room table on clearance however the top has scratches thought I would try a fill in pen,but this is so beautiful! Could you do this to my table? It is a lot bigger than your table and I would have to talk to my honey but ask you first and get a price before. Am looking for chairs for it (he knows about that) a any Ideas? Wish I was able to do that but physically?
    • Susi Schuele

I'm so sorry but I don't finish furniture any longer refinish furniture. I am a full time fine artist now doing only abstract art on wood. I don't know where you're located but there may be someone in your area who could do it. It also depends on the type of wood that your table is made of. This table was oak I believe and the stain will take differently depending on the wood so you may not get the exact effect. Good luck!
  • Cam32834285

Do you have any video of you applying and blending your colors?

• Susi Schuele

I don't have a video of this piece but I do have a channel on YouTube where there are videos of my artwork. I don't do furniture any longer as I'm now creating fine art on wood. Pop over and check out YouTube if you like :) https://youtu.be/-LJCdUmLfB4

• Rachelle

Hello Susi.

The table is beautiful and inspiring!

May I ask, you said you had to sand before staining, but did you need to apply any polyurethane stripper before sanding or did you just sand all of the older finish off?

What sanding tool did you use and what grade?

I’ve been wanting to do my dining room table with a mix of stains but have been reluctant to start because of the chemical poly stripping process.

Thank you for any advice you can help with.

~Rachelle

• Susi Schuele

Hi Rachelle. I did sand only. I used a power sander with a 150 grit I think. It’s been a while. But if your finish is really thick, you would probably want to go with a heavy grit. Good luck!

• Eli

the resualt is awesome, i have a question , did you use anything as a finishing ?

• Susi Schuele

Yes, Minwax Clear Gloss oil based polyurethane for the top. General Finishes High Gloss for the base. Unicorn SPiT is water based Stain so it needs an oil based or resin sealer. The base is chalk paint so the water based finish is OK for that and works better over white.

• Gud33865491

Is spit unicorn a type of paint and where do you get it from

• Jill

You said you mix it with water. Did you do equal parts or what? Also do you put the general finish before you used the paint stain for the base coat?

• Susi Schuele

The SPiT is dilutable up to about 60%. You would dilute it to your taste but I applied the spit and misted with water to get the results I wanted. Apply to bare wood - do NOT put any finish down beforehand and sand anything that's there off. It works best on bare wood.

• Mary Avila

Hi, did you put all the colors on at the same time? Did you cover with plastic then spread?

• Susi Schuele

No, I put the colors on individually and used my hands and a spray water bottle to blend them. No plastic.

• Alexandra Rose Mullen

Could you tell me what color pallet you used precisely? I'd love to try this on some furnature in my daughter's room.

• Susi Schuele

I wish I could.. Honestly. I did this probably 3 years ago so it isn't fresh in my mind. I would say I probably used Zia Teal, Dragon's Belly, Blue Thunder, Molly Red Pepper and Purple Hill Majesty. Keep in mind though that these colors are very diluted, very blended and on top of sanded darker wood (cherry maybe.. not sure). I always use my hands, no brushes. And the dilution comes from spraying water on the SPiT, not diluting in a bottle. You want the grain to come through. Try a small area by misting a very small dab of stain first to see how it reacts. Put lighter colors down first, then darker. The base of the table is white chalk paint. Hope this helps!

• Tonia L. Schipull

I sent a picture of your Magical Unicorn coffee table to my daughter and she would like for me create the same for her. I bought a coffee table at the thrift store for .49. Yes, forty nine cents!! I'm a beginner. Do you think I could possibly re-create ?what you have done or at least similar where she would like it? She has a 3-D pic of an Elephant that has all of those colors in it. She loves it. Is there anyway you can give me more detailed instructions? She just moved to Minn. for her career and give it to her as an apt warming gift!

Where can I buy the Spit Unicorn set and any other materials I may need. I do know how to chalk paint.

Thanks for any help!!!

I may be getting in over my head!!

Tonia

• Susi Schuele

I'm so happy that you love this enough to replicate it :) Unfortunately, there really is no precise method. If you look back in the comments, I gave a few tips but artistry isn't really something you can put into specific instructions. Chalk paint is super simple, just get the color you want, paint the table and seal it with polyurethane. As far as the stain goes, just practice on a sample piece of wood until you're comfortable with your technique. Good luck!

• Martha

I’m

• Jennifer Wolosin

Has this technique ever been used on a floor?

• Susi Schuele

I personally have not done a floor. However, the creator of the Unicorn SPiT Stain did a concrete floor in her showroom that was magnificent. You could absolutely stain a sanded hardwood floor. The trick would be sealing it as you need an soil based sealer and that could end up slippery. But it stains like any other wood stain. It’s a fabulous product. Join the Unicorn SPiT group on Facebook for loads of tips. 😁

• Necee Marie

Absolutely gorgeous !!

• Felicia

It’s a very nice job! I know there are a lot of uses for it in certain people’s tastes. I loved the look right after you sanded down the top. But I can’t deny the beautiful results you had with it. 👍🏻