DIY Bathroom Lighting Fixture Makeover

$20

I really wish I could renovate my bathroom, but being a renter, doing a complete gut job and rebuilding from scratch wasn't a possibility. The lighting, however, was definitely something that I could upgrade without changing out the existing lighting fixture. So I came up with a plan to change out the shades and to make my fixture more energy efficient.
The first thing I did was swap out the incandescent light bulbs for ENERGY STAR certified LED light bulbs - it's a a great way to give a space an updated look when you're renovating and it can save you money on your electrical bills.
To build the shades, I made rings with 4" wooden embroidery hoops that I covered with iron on wood veneer edging.
I used a grey wood tint and white wax as a finish.
I drilled holes in the top ring for the machine screws that secure the shades to the existing fixture.
I used a flexible chopping mat to form the shade and used double sided tape to seal the joint of the shade and secure the rings to the exterior of the shade.
Then I put in the machine screws and secured the shades to the existing lighting fixture using a screw driver!
I love the way this project turned out!
The video below shows in detail how to make these shades.

• Embroidery hoops
  • Flexible chopping mat

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Engineer Your Space

• Connie Quine
    Connie Quine

Does the heat from the light bulbs affect the embroidery hoops or plastic?

• Marie Murphy
      Marie Murphy

No, there is very little heat coming from EnergyStar led light bulbs, which is what she is using instead of incandescent bulbs.

• Dee
      Dee

LEDs don't get hot

• Mary
      Mary

Thanks!!!

• Mary
    Mary

I really like this idea!! I’m wondering if the heat from the bulbs (led or not) could be a problem??

• Susan
    Susan

I've used the iron on veneer on flat furniture pieces ... but HOW did you iron onto rings?? I can hear your answer "very carefully" ! but seriously, did you actually iron it on? or just glue it ?

• Mary Cornish
    Mary Cornish

My lights are on the ceiling . I want to change them.

• Tsy21507155
      Tsy21507155

Go ahead

• Lifestyles Homes
      Lifestyles Homes

Using this methodology, it’s all about getting the existing fastening-points to work with your new shades.

Keep in mind, that plastic cutting mats and wood embroidery hoops are quite flammable for incandescent lamps (light bulbs) and only LEDs and fluorescent lamps generate less heat.

• Mary Cornish
    Mary Cornish

• Sophia
    Sophia

You did not mention that the glass shades are different, which obviously they are. Where did you get the new glass shades.

• Sophia
      Sophia

Nevermind. I missed the video when I had to leave the room for a moment and see you actually make the shade.