Rosemary N
Rosemary N
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Asked on Dec 7, 2011

I'm planning to replace the floor in my kitchen. What substance would work better: tile, laminate, or something else?

Sandra AllenKMS Woodworks3po3
+10

Thanks for your help!
  • RMJ Enterprises

i like tile myself, but thats just my personal preferance., depends on what you want, and how much you can afford

• KMS Woodworks

Rosemary...this question comes up a lot here. Many people chose on what they find attractive...which normally boils down to real hardwood or tile. As a remodel carpenter and flooring installer I have installed just about every thing except sheet vinyl. My recommendation is always for tile....hands down the best in terms of durability and ease of cleaning. Wood is a distant second. I have done dozens of hardwood repairs in kitchens, due to minor leaks and spills that have ruined the hardwood. I also have done dozens of hardwood "refinishes" in kitchens. Kitchens see some of the highest traffic in a home so getting the most durable flooring is why I always recommend tile. lots of people think a tile floor is harder on the feet than wood but this is normally just perception. If your concerned about comfort...pick out a nice area rug and or a decent pair of shoes.

i m planning to replace the floor in my kitchen what substance would work better, flooring, kitchen design, tile flooring, tiling, water wood troublei m planning to replace the floor in my kitchen what substance would work better, flooring, kitchen design, tile flooring, tiling, heavy kitchen traffic ruined this wood floor 12 years old
  • Rosemary N

Thanks! I think tile is probably the right way to go. The tile itself isn't terribly expensive; is it easy to install for a do-it-yourselfer with no experience, or would I be wise to have a professional do it?

• KMS Woodworks

Tile is not to hard for a DIY, you can rent a decent tile saw and attend a "tile workshop" at one of your local home centers or read some books or online tutorials. Just take your time and pay attention to the details....One of the biggest errors I see as a carpenter is tile height variations and uneven tile spacing....both can be avoided with attention to details.

• If you have an out of the way or hidden area (such as a closet or pantry) in the kitchen, try tiling that section first so that you can get some practical experience at it. That way, even if you make a minor mistake, it is hidden behind closed doors. Tile is also what I always suggest as best for potentially wet areas such as kitchens, baths and laundry rooms.

• 3po3

Another vote for tile, and Dan's and KMS have great tips.

• Tile it is, I have hardwoods and I run to wipe a stain or a spill it drives me crazy! Also if you like the look of wood, check out the wood tiles (Tiles that look and feel like wood) they look amazing!

• Rosemary N

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful advice!! Tile it is!

• Designs by BSB

I'll be exception here. Tile is my least favorite in a kitchen, maybe because I spend a lot of time there. a)hard on feet and body b)pretty much anything you drop that is glass will break c) cleaning the grout (minimal grout lines can help I have wood .. love it. Easy easy to keep clean and does not put a toll on my body.

• Rosemary N

Thanks for all of your very good advice! I've decided to go with tile, even though it may be a little harder than wood might be. I'll just toss down a couple of area rugs in front of the sink and the stove; that should solve the problem. Really appreciate the responses and the advice I received, and next time I have a dilemma, I'll be back!

• 3po3

Glad we could help. I suggest exactly that for folks who think tile is to hard - put down some throw rugs. There are some nice squishy pads that really make standing at the sink pretty comfortable. I would know, I spend plenty of time at the sink washing bottles and dishes for the little guy, who sometimes seems to eat all day.

• KMS Woodworks

another good thing about rugs is they can be washed when needed or swapped out for "design" change.

• Sandra Allen

I would go with Bamboo. It's durable, cost-effective and beautiful. Good luck!