Cindy K
Cindy K
  • Oviedo, FL
Asked on Dec 7, 2011

Hi, I have a Ti plant, What is the bestt fertilizer to use on it? Thanks Giz522

Brandy ParkerGarden Rebel / Sims Landscaping, Co.3po3
+1

• 3po3

From this University of Hawaii Cooperative Extension pub: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/of-33.pdf "Ti needs occasional applications of a general garden fertilizer at 3–4-month intervals. The fertilizer ratio of the major elements should be 3:1:2 for N, P, and K, respectively. Apply 35 pounds N-P2O5-K2O per 1000 square feet per year. Increase the application in heavy rainfall areas or if frequent irrigation is applied. An N-P-K ratio of 1:1:1 is recommended for soil-based media, whereas a ratio of 3:1:2 is suggested for soilless media. Another common nutritional program is liquid feed with 24-8-16 or 20-10-20 N-P-K formulation, following the product directions. Liquid fertilizer should be rinsed off the foliage with water." Mahalo.

• Cindy, I have been growing Ti's personally and commecially for decades and we propagate thousands of them each year. We alays use a combination of fertilizer and alternate the brands.Our method is to use small doses every 2 months or so in the gowing season. Too much balanced fertilizer will lessen the vibrance and Black Kow cow manure will aid in increasing the color. I also supplement with coffee grounds, epsom salts,and I use natual fetilizers,and they thrive. The trick to keeping them healthy also is a well dained soil and be sure to cover in the winter!.

• Brandy Parker

Garden Rebel/sims landscaping,Co. I would love to know more about the coffee,epsom salt, and natural fertilizers you use on your TI

• Brandy Parker

Garden Rebel/Sims Landscaping,CO. How much coffee do you use? How often do you use it? Same on the epsom salt and what other natural fertilizers do use????? TI cordylines like? Can I replace black cow manure for the potting soil or do i have to mix it? What is the best soil to use for the TI plants? I live in MS. And want my plant to grow beautiful and strong!!!!