Anne Willer
Anne Willer
  • Pendleton, OR
Asked on Mar 3, 2013

Scummy glass shower doors

Vit1310934Jones5775Lisa
+23

What's a good home remedy for cleaning soap scum etc. off glass shower doors?
  • Marcy

I pour vinegar on my glass shower doors- then wait a few minutes- gently wipe off, spray with very hot water and the results are amazing.

• Gail Salminen

@Anne Willer there is nothing like scrubbing bubbles foam to remove this scum. If built up a bit may take a couple of cleanings. I just spray, let it sit for couple of minutes then use one of those nylon shower scrubbies to do a light scouring then rinse clean with the shower hose. Do this once every week or so and you will have the problem no more.

• Lin R

Magic Erasers works great too along with the vinegar or scrubbing bubbles.

• Hamtil Construction LLC

I have been suggesting Seventh Generation bathroom cleaner to our clients that have hard water issues with the shower glass. It seems to do a great job and does not leave a streaky residue like some glass cleaners will. Also, we usually recommend that the shower glass we install be treated with "Enduroshield" coating, that helps minimize water spots and soap buildup. They do sell a home DIY kit that you can apply and it will help this situation some.

• American Maid Sisters

Vinegar like Marcy mentioned has given us the best results on shower doors. Also like Lin said it is great with magic erasers.

• Robyn

I use Scumblaster. I spray it on, and the hard water and soap scum drip down the walls. No fumes, safe, and I sometimes just take a shower while it is working.

• Sarah

After you remove it this time switch to shower gel or liquid soap = no moresoap scum!

• Paula Smith

Using liquid shower soap to bathe with really does help to keep shower walls and doors clean. Right before you turn off the shower, rinse the walls, doors, shower curtain - everything! You need to have a hand-held shower head for this. And don't just rinse at the top of walls, doors, etc. Follow the water down the walls to make sure the bottom half is also rinsed!

• Kathi-Jo Kackman

WD-40!

• I don't have glass shower doors, but a lot of folks love a mixture of vinegar and Dawn dish soap for removing soap scum. Combine equal parts of each in a sponge wand type container and then rub on the surfaces to be cleaned, let it set for a while, then rinse.

• Gail Salminen

@Anne Willer just saw a post on fb that fresh lemon - cut in half and rub over the marks and it rinses away! Have never tried this but it may be worth a try. I find scrubbing bubbles foam works so well with such little effort, I haven't felt the need to try anything else. It lets me be lazy and put off the cleaning and still works LOL

• Normanda

A professional housekeeper cleaned mine with baby oil without it leaving a oily residue. the oil removed a lot of soap scum that had built up over the years and left the glass sparkling.

• Terri Ann

Lightly wet a fabric softener sheet....rub in circles...its amazing!

• B. Enne

I use vinegar, bottled lemon juice and dishsoap in a spray bottle. Leave for a few minutes and rinse. I use this cleaner for so many things, including repelling ants! You could use this kind of thing: http://www.amazon.com/Libman-Dish-Scrub-Soap-Dispenser/dp/B002DZML3O or just a green $ store scrubby. We hardly ever have scum because we use a squeegee everyday. The last person to shower does it while it is still wet. It has helped tremendously. It also keeps mold and mildew down. Just don't use rubbing alcohol if it is near caulking...it eats it away. We had soap scum removers with it that worked really well, but we kept having to recaulk.

• Wet & Forget

If you don't prefer the smell of vinegar or bleach, we would suggest giving our Wet & Forget Weekly Shower cleaner a try. It doesn't require any scrubbing or wiping. It cleans and prevents the build-up of soap scum, grime, oils, mold and mildew stains. We have tons of reviews on Amazon.

• B. Enne

The vinegar doesn't smell strong at all with lemon juice and dish soap.

• Sherrie

Use The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner. Pour it on your rag and wipe off the doors. We use this in cleaning move outs, and I clean several a day. My go to clean.

• Kathey

How do you read entire replies? Only half sentences show

• Annie H

if you polish the glass after cleaning (pledge) it will stay cleaner longer, the water just runs down the glass without leaving spots, etc.

• Carolyn Wilmouth

after cleaning it good, use rainx on shower doors to keep it from building up again

• Normanda

clean it with baby oil to remove all the soap scum then wipe down with clean cloth

• Lisa

Use Bathcredible! Get it on HSN.com! It's awesome for shower glass doors, any porcelain...and also for bathroom faucets! Yay!

• Jones5775

Dryer sofner sheets work wonders on soap scum. Just dampen a wipe.

• Vit1310934

I keeps an old dry towel in the bathroom and wipe it every time I use it