Jayme
Jayme
  • Bellaire, MI
Asked on Mar 3, 2013

What is the best way to paint a plastic bucket??

Cathy Tanksley GarrardJogrybali4Real Linda
+10

I have access to a lot of plastic buckets that I would like to paint and use in my garden. These are plastic buckets that frosting comes in for a bakery, so I guess like a 5 gallon bucket.....how should I prep the buckets to accept the paint, what is the best kind of paint to use for durability. Any techniques or ideas for making them look like stone?
  • Hamtil Construction LLC

Well, I've never tried to do it, but generally when you paint plastic a "bonding primer" is recommended for the base coat. This type of primer is formulated to bond to plastics and PVC material, thus creating a suitable surface for the finish paint to adhere on. You might inquire at Sherwin Williams about their KEM Aqua product or something similar. For really extreme cases, X-I-M brand is a good choice, but be warned that there is a difference between the "water born" and "solvent born". The solvent born X-I-M is high VOC and should probably be avoided in this case.

• Z

I always use Krylon Fusion made for spray painting plastics. It's awesome. http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

• Z

Cathy, you may want to email, or call the company's toll free number for help with your problem. I have never heard of anyone having trouble with any spray paint not sticking to plastic. Most list plastic as something it adheres to even if it's not specifically made for plastic so I'm baffled And can't offer any help Other than to contact the manufacturer. I'm sorry.

• Jayme

Thanks so much Becky. I will definitely be looking for that.

• Mary Insana

Becky, you're right it was Krylon Fusion that i used. I checked my cans after i posted earlier but never got back on here until now to correct it. Like Becky said it is awesome. I had used it to paint those white plastic yard chairs that so many of us have and they turned out great.

• 4Real Linda

Plastic spray paint at Lowes

• Jogrybali

you are all so lucky to have the shops close by. I live in Bali,Indonesia and I have to order materials online Have a nice day jogry

• Cathy Tanksley Garrard

The chairs have a finish that would bond with Fusion, but the plastic buckets have a slick finish and it won't bond. It still peels off. I have tried it.