Play Room/Reading Nook With Pallet Seat #30dayflip

My Sweet and Whimsy October Room Flip.. I have 3 young boys and I wanted them to have an ideal spot to play and read. With a lot of up cycling and some creativity, I achieved this on a budget. All thanks to a pallet seating reading nook and a yard sale bookshelf I decoupaged.
This is the dreaded "Before Pic" In my defense, I had already began gutting the room, which used to be my 2 year olds (who NEVER slept in there) when I realized that I was going to be able to participate in the October Challenge.
I found this awesome bookshelf at a yard sale for $5! This piece inspired the WHOLE room
With a pop of green and some distressing around the edges it started to take shape. I put 3 coats of Folk Art Satin Varnish, because like I said I have 3 boys!
I really wanted to add a POP and fun factor for the back, and I have never tried decoupage, so I went for it :) I went to goodwill and found an old history book that I cut pictures out of (Presidents, 1st Air plane, Monuments, maps, and anything I thought my boys would like); I also went and bought about 6 sheets of fun antique style paper to fill in with, from Michaels
This took HOURS!!!! lol
Then I thought "Hmmm... What is a reading nook without a place to sit" So I had an extra Pallet in the garage that I didn't use for my Fall decorations so I cut it in half, making a triangle, and reinforced it with extra wood I had from the left over half of the pallet. (I didn't get a pic of this part :( ) I then wrapped it tight with an old thick curtain
To make it soft, I went to Big Lots and bought a 1 in Full size memory foam topper. I cut this into 2 triangles, long enough to cover the edges, once again I have boys and I did not want them to get boo boos from the hard edges. From the pieces I cut off, I had enough to sandwich an extra layer in between the 2 triangles, making it 3 inches thick.
Next step. I put 2 layers of batting over the memory foam and stapled underneath to lock it in place. And then I took a Denim colored insulated curtain that I was not using, and wrapped it TIGHT all the way around, tucking it under the bottom and securing with staples and VIOLA a Reading Nook was born!
It needed some pillows so I dug through my material drawer and found some fun bright colors and quickly sewed together 2 pillows
Next came the fun rearranging and decorating the room with items we already owned
My grandpa made the amazing name signs hanging up :)
This was a lot of fun and the boys LOVED it!!! I was even able to do it all myself and surprise my husband with the pallet seat and overall arrangement :)
The room came together nicely and they are going to spend many hours playing in there!
side note, I love doing this, and I can tell my boys appreciate it. They were eager to show their friends, who loved the seat, my oldest son was like "Yea my mom made that, it's awesome huh?" :) that was a Proud moment!
Visit my facebook page for more ideas and I am selling locally :) www.facebook.com/roughlyrefined

22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House

• Diane Schule

How did you attach the tall bookshelf to the wall? I know my son would have been climbing that sucker the moment my back was turned. And would have organized speed trials with his friends! But I love this room!