Play Room/Reading Nook With Pallet Seat #30dayflip

My Sweet and Whimsy October Room Flip.. I have 3 young boys and I wanted them to have an ideal spot to play and read. With a lot of up cycling and some creativity, I achieved this on a budget. All thanks to a pallet seating reading nook and a yard sale bookshelf I decoupaged.
This is the dreaded "Before Pic" In my defense, I had already began gutting the room, which used to be my 2 year olds (who NEVER slept in there) when I realized that I was going to be able to participate in the October Challenge.
I found this awesome bookshelf at a yard sale for $5! This piece inspired the WHOLE room
With a pop of green and some distressing around the edges it started to take shape. I put 3 coats of Folk Art Satin Varnish, because like I said I have 3 boys!
I really wanted to add a POP and fun factor for the back, and I have never tried decoupage, so I went for it :) I went to goodwill and found an old history book that I cut pictures out of (Presidents, 1st Air plane, Monuments, maps, and anything I thought my boys would like); I also went and bought about 6 sheets of fun antique style paper to fill in with, from Michaels
This took HOURS!!!! lol
Then I thought "Hmmm... What is a reading nook without a place to sit" So I had an extra Pallet in the garage that I didn't use for my Fall decorations so I cut it in half, making a triangle, and reinforced it with extra wood I had from the left over half of the pallet. (I didn't get a pic of this part :( ) I then wrapped it tight with an old thick curtain
To make it soft, I went to Big Lots and bought a 1 in Full size memory foam topper. I cut this into 2 triangles, long enough to cover the edges, once again I have boys and I did not want them to get boo boos from the hard edges. From the pieces I cut off, I had enough to sandwich an extra layer in between the 2 triangles, making it 3 inches thick.
Next step. I put 2 layers of batting over the memory foam and stapled underneath to lock it in place. And then I took a Denim colored insulated curtain that I was not using, and wrapped it TIGHT all the way around, tucking it under the bottom and securing with staples and VIOLA a Reading Nook was born!
It needed some pillows so I dug through my material drawer and found some fun bright colors and quickly sewed together 2 pillows
Next came the fun rearranging and decorating the room with items we already owned
My grandpa made the amazing name signs hanging up :)
This was a lot of fun and the boys LOVED it!!! I was even able to do it all myself and surprise my husband with the pallet seat and overall arrangement :)
The room came together nicely and they are going to spend many hours playing in there!
side note, I love doing this, and I can tell my boys appreciate it. They were eager to show their friends, who loved the seat, my oldest son was like "Yea my mom made that, it's awesome huh?" :) that was a Proud moment!
Visit my facebook page for more ideas and I am selling locally :) www.facebook.com/roughlyrefined