Joyce
Joyce
  • Billings, MT
Asked on Mar 4, 2013

Can a lay person refinish their own tub, sink, stool? or only professionally done?

IbbieLtt834476Diana Deiley
+4

I just tore the wallpaper off in bathroom, Was going to put another on and paint the rest of walls, but I'm limited to color because the prior owner put all pink fixtures in. I would prefer them to be almond or white. With economy like it is - can I do this myself?
  • Yes a DIY person can do this, however it does take a lot of elbow grease and lots of time to get it right. Also the kits you purchase typically do not last as long as the systems that the pros use. But if you follow the directions and make sure the surfaces are super clean and properly prepped you should see good results. Just remember the pros remove the hardware so the finishes are under the trims which makes it look much better. Also the pro systems tend to last longer then the brush on systems that are normally done by homeowners.

• Joyce

Thanks! I'm not afraid of hard work, but sounds like one could end up with brush marks?? Also, are some crack in a cple of the pieces - does covering take care of that, or should I just look at replacing when I can?

• Hamtil Construction LLC

Hi Joyce, Great question. To answer with my opinion, I would say that it is worth the money to have it professionally done. Usually it's not expensive, and the pros will prep the surface thoroughly and spray the epoxy on for a more even finish. Anytime I have seen the DIY applications, it does not look to great.. usually showing a lot of brush strokes.

• Stila

Yes! Take your time and it will turn out fantastic.

• Diana Deiley

I used to watch Christopher Lowell's programs...his advice was to complement the color and work with it if your budget is limited. Or, my advice, visit Habitat for replacement pieces. I'm not sure what to do with a pink tub though. Best of luck.

• Ltt834476

Now days, they have spray paint for wood, metal, porcelain and counter tops. Visit your local Lowe's. I painted right over the wallpaper. Looks fine! You can even do a modge podge. Check out website: www.Pinterest.com, just type in the search area and you'll get so many ideas. Wonderful website.

• Ibbie

Buy a new or used tub, My bathtub has been refinished two times by professionals. The first one lasted about 1 year,before cracking and peeling. The second one started peeling and cracking in the first 6 months. I cannot trust the so called professionals again. Could have bought a new tub for their prices.