Lorrie B
Lorrie B
  • Beaver Falls, PA
Asked on Mar 4, 2013

Is it possible to use ceramic tiles outdoors, without grouting or cementing?

Lorrie BSLS Construction & Building Solutions LLCWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com

I have a bunch of ceramic tiles, in different size, shapes, and colors and was wondering if/how I could use them to make a sidewalk or some type of "island patio". Would they break easily? Need much prep work? I'd like to do this myself... Thanks to all!
  • the ceramic tiles you have will not last if not put on a solid surface. Its not about the grout but the surface that the tile has been fastened down to. Perhaps make a free standing panel between two posts fastened into the ground then fasten plywood to that and create a mosaic pattern using the tiles to use as a privacy panel. But for any kind of walkway the tiles need to be fastened to a solid surface.

• In short, not really. Even if you place them on a solid surface or pour concrete & push them into it, you will have issues with breakage & freeze & thaw cycles. One other major issue is that the walkway would probably be very slippery when wet

• Lorrie B

Thank you both, that's what I thought, but wanted to know...