Asked on Nov 2, 2015

Easiest way to remove linoleum glue from concrete?

Brenda GunsDavid NeaveDerek
+30

Linoleum has been down since 1970 and is adhered to the concrete subfloor. We've tried boiling water with zero luck and a chemical remover that Home Depot carried to remove linoleum glue. Suggestions?

The only solution I found was exactly what you already did.I would retry the boiling water a small space at a time and use a floor scraper.

• Linda Barrett Dirksen

Can you sand it?

• Z

Though I hate using chemicals, in this case all you can do is repeat with the chemical and scraping until it's clean. Hubby did this with the kitchen floor in our last home. Each step gets you closer to the clean floor.

• Debbie

I had this problem with my basement floor and sanding was working but there was so much that it was costing me a bundle in sandpaper so I took my trusty heat gun and a sharp putty knife, opened the windows and sat on the floor just heating and scraping. It took a few days but it was cheap and effective.

• Mar2529658

We had this problem and in the end used plain four and a scraper.

• Mary Stanley

I used a heat gun and scrapper. You have to be really careful with the heat gun because it can cause a fire.

• Diane Patterson

My husband used a flat bladed shovel and scraped it off, then followed up with a sander to get complete the job.

• Joyce Mendoza

Yes, Ive used a heat gun also & flat spatula (tool type) to slide under it to lift it. 1. Heat with heat gun. Lift with other hand as heating. 2. When you hit a hard spot...hold up the lino with one hand & heat directly at the glue then slide the spatula under the tile to lift more. Please be careful because not only can you burn yourself with the hot lino...but the tile too. It takes a while but at least its not chemicals or odors. Removed tile that had been down over 30 yrs this way..

• Joan

Some of this adhesive from the early '70's has asbestos in it. You might want to get it tested before you mess with it too much (scraping, sanding). If it were my house, I'd paint over it to seal it and cover the concrete with a floating floor of some kind, or ceramic tile.

• Winks74

@joan too late, we've drenched it in glue remover twice to no avail. Hopefully I'm not killing my fellow household members...sigh..

• Lagree Wyndham

Furniture stripper will loosen the glue.

• Mar2529658

We used ordinary flour and a scraper

• Ally | The Speckled Goat

I'd recommend using a multitool with a flat scraping blade to get most of it off- we did this with our hardwood floors-- see here--> http://bit.ly/1LkG83e

• Cathy Figahs

vinegar paper towels let sit drench on glue areas 1/2 hour wipe with same towels scrap where needed repeat

• Chris Holtz

hello i agree with sidewinder any house prior to 1990 one needs to test for asbestos. I know since i work in restoration and this is not something you just want to play with

• Marion Nesbitt

Why bother removing it? If it is well adhered, you can tile (ceramic/porcelain) right over it. Used wood stripper to try to start removing indoor/outdoor carpet glue from concrete on my daughter's veranda. Much to our relief, tiler said not necessary - he just tiled over the glue remnants. Said as long as surface - vinyl, etc. (not carpeting) is well adhered, removal of it is not necessary for tiling. Hope this helps.

• Kristin Topping

I think removing glue from concrete that is often successful begins by boiling a large pot of water. After the water reaches the boiling point, pour it on the glue, and let it sit for a few minutes before it has a chance to cool. The heat from the water will soften many types of adhesives enough so that they easily peel off with a hand scraper. This method is not recommended for areas with electrical outlets and wiring near the floor.

• Cyndie S

I have used vinegar to cut floor glue, then scraping. It sort of balled up to wipe away.

• Franci Gilbert

goo be gone.

• Pam Lewandowski

Saw on an earlier post from a week or so ago - they suggested a "heat gun". Apparently works really well. Sorry - that's all I'm remembering.

• Moxie

sand it off with a floor sander

• Winks74

I gave up and covered it with a floating floor

• Red

@Winks74 Can you tell me how you did your floating floor. I have a 100 year old bungalow with very uneven floors. Would like to do a floor remodel. Help please. zxdxgx@gmail.com

• Winks74

Well we used a laminate floor that is actually quite gorgeous. I was totally against it at first but decided to give it a try. We bought Pergo Max laminate. It seems to be a better quality than most laminate I've seen. My hubby and a friend installed it...very tedious work and lots of measuring and sawing...not for the faint of heart.

• PHX12

the easiest and fastest way to remove any glue or mortar from a concrete floor would be to use a floor grinding tool like the PHX12
  • Joe

Buy a floor scraper. You can use a putty knife, a chisel, a pry bar... anything with a fine edge that can get under the linoleum. The sharper the better...and the longer the better. You'll get better leverage and you won't have to work on your knees as much.

That's one reason why a floor scraper is worth spending the money on. They only cost around $30 and they make a miserable job A LOT easier.

Removing the linoleum is still only half of the job, though. Thoroughly removing the residual glue and prepping the concrete is the other.

Again... a floor scraper is the way to go.

However, you'll still have glue
  • Scott

So, has anyone used a concrete grinder or a sandblaster?

• Derek

I’m in the process of the right now

1. Cut strips of lino
    2. Peel off (mind your back)
    3. Spray & soak 1 meter square with hot soapy water and leave for 20 minutes
    4. Use a floor scraper
    5. Make sure you pour yourself a proper gin and tonic because it’s a ball buster
  • David Neave

I have just removed Lino glued to concrete

The Lino would not come off. I cut 200mm strips, these would then rip up. The residue of Lino left I was able to remove using a combination of the following:

-Odd bits sticking up I was able to simply pull up and quite a bit more

came up with it.

-Next is used a wallpaper scraper by going at the same bit.

-For the remaining stubborn bits I used an old woodwork chisel, turned over (bevel down).

I found it better to completely clean each strip before pulling the next piece up

it is also dependent on how strong and possibly the type of glue on your particular. I have no idea about the glue used on my Lino

• Brenda Guns

Heat works great. I used heat gun which softens it and makes it easier to work. But the I tried on old iron. I put a piece of tin foil over it to prevent clogging the on the highest setting ,I sat it on the floor. After a few minutes I started scraping. moving the iron to the next spot as I scraped the current one. It was a chore. But much faster and easier. Then the hot water. The stripper or the heat gun.