Mel M
Mel M
  • Sarasota, FL
Asked on Dec 8, 2011

Chirping wired smoke alarm question : My house is just over a year old......I've tried replacing the battery and then

Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comKMS WoodworksMel M
+3

the entire unit. Each time my fix only lasts about 3-4 weeks before the chirping resumes. I was forced to disconnect the wires but now I don't have an operating alarm. Any ideas ?
  • Mel, there might be something wrong with the unit itself. Personally I would replace the entire thing just to be safe. Things like this where it can potentially save your life should not be left to chance.

• Mel M

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. I already replaced ther entire unit.

• Sorry, I missed that part in your post, just saw where you said you tried changing batteries. Are these tied to a security system in any way? They can start chirping if the battery backup to the system itself is low.

• Mel M

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. Yes, it is tied to a security system. But so are 4 other smoke detectors in the house and none of them chirped. Plus the house and the battery backup in the system are only a year old.

• KMS Woodworks

If these are interconnected when you Silence one they should all quiet down. I recently replaced some 12 year old units for a client and "reset" each new unit as it was installed..with out doing that the units that still need to be replaced continued to chirp.

• Few things can be causing this. Poor batteries, It happens. The unit needs to be reset. Do this by removing the alarm from system and take out battery. Then simply push the test button for about 20 seconds. Then replace the battery and plug back in. If this does not solve the issue, then either the alarm is faulty, it happens, or the power to the alarm is having issues. Remove the battery and test the alarm. Does it work? If not the 110 volt power is at fault and needs to be looked into.