Decorchick!
Decorchick!
  • Houston, TX

Kitchen Makeover and Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I am so thrilled our white kitchen is done now! Although there was nothing wrong with our stained oak cabinets, it's not what I wanted so I took the plunge and had them painted. And I've never looked back. :) The part I most love is that the grain doesn't show through and the cabinets are incredibly smooth. I can't say I would have gotten those same results if I DIY'd it. Our new countertops are also laminate! They look amazing and I can't believe how much it really looks like granite. People are definitely fooled. :) To see more of our kitchen makeover with a complete source list and TONS of after pics, visit my post. http://www.decorchick.com/white-kitchen-makeover-reveal/
New white kitchen cabinets! Love the creamy white color and the paint over our old stain worked great.
Kitchen before, with dark oak stained cabinets and laminate countertops that I was not a fan of.
Another after. I just love the freshness of it. And I added pops of color with my dishes and accessories so it wasn't too white in here.

Decorchick!

• Lisa

What kind of paint did you use? I'm trying to do mine,but the grain is still showing after 2-3 coats of primer and 2-3 coats of paint. Its not as glossy as I'd like either. So far I'm not happy with "test" cabinet!

• Lisa

Also what type of brushes or roller did you use? Mine are leaving fibers behind, I dont mind so much that the wood grain is showing, but picking itty bitty fibers out with tweezers is going to drive me crazy!! I definitely cant do the entire kitchen that way!!

• Diana Deiley

Foam rollers are the best to use on cabinets and doors. No lint and a smooth finish.
  • Emily Elstrott

What about the inside of the cabinets...were they painted as well or left as they were? What color were/are they?

• Diana Deiley

Well, I appreciate white kitchens! Here in Florida white is perfect to create an open airy concept. Accent colors can be added and changed out more easily as opposed to dark cabinets and paint colors on walls. It's a personal preference for me. White ALWAYS looks clean and reflects light perfectly. Great job. Thanks for sharing.
  • Tinalyn

Great job I like a crisp white kitchen as well. You just use bright dishes and whatever accent color if you want maybe a little tiny wallpaper border or a little ruffle of a curtain or just odds and ends up on top of your cabinets.