Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

DIY Crate Stools for Toy Storage

$18

I am excited to share with you my most recent DIY project that turned milk crates into some of the most functional little things in my house. I found these old black crates off Craigslist for $6. There are six of them, they are all identical. I brought them outside and pressure washed the grime, stickiness, and everything else off of them.
diy crate stools for toy storage, entertainment rec rooms, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
I chose a few fun colors of spray paint (most I already had) and sprayed them.
Next I began to create padded seats for the top that double functioned as lids. I received leftover wood from my dad. I used fabric scraps and old t-shirts from my seamstress mother. I resourced the foam from one of the most unusual places...but that's a long story. If you need to know, read the blog post link at the bottom of the page!
Big squares of foam!
I laid out the fabric (three of them were made using old t-shirts) and cut it to size.
Then I laid the foam (flat side down) on the fabric, followed by the 3/4 inch plywood, and used my gun to staple the fabric to the wood.
Lastly, I added skinny wood bars to the bottom that will rest inside the milk crate to make the lid fit tight. These will keep the lid in place when you sit on the crate and provide it with a bit of extra strength. The brad nailer function of the gun made fast work of this step.
I did this process six times. When I was done, I couldn't believe how cute these padded stools for toy storage turned out!
They store all my kids' toys in the basement (a.k.a. the play room). My kids love to use them, taking the lids off and putting them back on, sitting on them, and trying to fit their toys in them like a jigsaw puzzle.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Leave a comment and let me know what you think.
Melissa Woods

• Marge Sharick

Where do I get the crates?
    • Bree

Somtimes the man at our 7-11 will give us some.because i also use these to put my grocery bags in, in the back of my car

• Vivian

Perhaps after spray painting adding a coat of clear coating would make paint stay on longer? Like this.

• Sandra Harvey

Love the crates for storage. I have lots of crates, so I will try this. Thanks for your idea

• Ruby

I get how to cover the board, how do you make and attach the plat form that sit on the top. That's where i got lost.

• Helen Gesell

You can get foam from a fabric store or a craft store. The fabric cover holds the foam in place.

• Ann Collins Edmondson

Awesome idea! I can't wait to try this myself. Not only for some place for the grandkids to keep their stuff but also an excellent idea for me to store a few things in the combo guest room / craft center.

• Lynn
    Yesterday

Can't wait to try this. Thinking of using them for an upcoming camping trip. Can store supplies and double as seating at campfire