Ben K
Ben K
  • New York, NY
Asked on Mar 5, 2013

Need help with air conditioning unit next to couch.

Carol OswaldLoriDianna
+1

My new apartment has a wall mounted air conditioning unit in the middle of the living room wall. The best way to setup the room leaves my couch right next to the air conditioner meaning you get blasted in the face with cold air. I'm wondering if there's a way to deflect the air upwards or downwards. I've looked at those vent deflectors but they won't work. Also the entire unit is plastic, so nothing with magnets will work.
Does anyone have a solution of how I could redirect the air? Please see the photo attached.
need help with air conditioning unit next to couch, hvac
  • You can purchase those deflectors that use magnets to hold them on metal grills, then purchase Velcro buttons and place them on the deflector and on the unit to hold it in place. Just be sure you do not block the air intake or the unit will burn up.

• Dianna

Since it's plastic , try some two sided tape to hold deflectors on.

• Lori

Is there any way you can turn the grill around, take it out and put it in facing more upward?

• Carol Oswald

Velcro is a great idea for the deflectors. The plastic scoop ones would be best in your situation. Buy roll of white Velcro (dots may be too weak). I would Velcro the whole length.