Linda D
Linda D
  • Indianapolis, IN
Asked on Dec 8, 2011

Has anyone covered a slab floor with hardwood? Can it be done without building the floor up?

Paul MKMS WoodworksLinda D
+2

• 3po3

Yes, but you will need a good underlayment. There have been some other good tips for laying hardwood over a slab. Search "hardwood slab" in the "search posts" box at the top of the page.

• I live on a slab home. Hate it, but that's another story. I have placed glue down solid wood floors down on the cement slab, but you must be sure that this floor is above grade and does not suffer from any moisture issues. If its below grade, then you need to as Steve suggested put down an underlayment with vapor barrier to prevent any issues from happening.

• Linda D

Hate my slab too but what are you gonna do? Any changes or upgrades you want to do are super expensive. I'd love to redo my kitchen by moving some walls and plumbing but that can't happen right now. Be cheaper to sell I think

• KMS Woodworks

I've done both...to me the preferred way ( if you really want wood) is to build up a mini sub floor. I've done this with 2 x4's on the "flat" with 1 1/2 thick rigid foam insulation installed, then plywood and then nail down the hardwood. It adds some warmth. If it were my place I would lay an electric radiant mat down then tile over that....bomb proof, good looking and warm on the footsies. I've down a bunch of these. The mats I have used are from "suntouch" and "warmly yours" http://www.sun-touch.com www.warmlyyours.com

• Paul M

After doing a moisture test every commercial job I have been involved with, when they put wood over concrete, they have always put down a moisture barrier no matter what the moisture content or evaporation rate of the floor was. This is done to insure long term stability of the wood. Concrete constantly leaches out moisture to a greater or lesser degree when it is over soil. So it is always a good idea to use a vapor barrier no matter what situation your concrete is in.