DIY Christmas - Candy Jars

$12.00

Here’s a DIY Christmas idea that would look great on your buffet, counter or anywhere else you’d place some Christmas treats! (Original Post 12/2013)
Here’s a DIY Christmas idea that would look great on your buffet, counter or anywhere else you’d place some Christmas treats!
I’m a collector of sorts…okay, the hubby calls it trash most of the time, but every now and again I surprise him and create something magical out of my trash. This would be one of those times.
I’ve been collecting spaghetti/Alfredo jars, wine bottles and other misc bottles, because they typically have character to them. I’d been stashing them in the garage when I’d finished using the contents. I kept them because I knew one day I’d come up with something creative to change, transform them, repurpose them.
I was perusing Pinterest and found a pin where the spaghetti jars were repurposed. And of course, as always, I gave them my signature “Lisa spin”.
Your basic run of the mill spaghetti jar. I washed the jar and then soaked it in warm soapy
water to remove the labels. Worked like a charm.
I then sprayed the lid with flat black paint and drilled a hole in the center.
I found some pretty knobs at 50% off at Hobby Lobby.
I screwed the knob on, and used the washer provided to secure it to the lid. You notice I didn’t cut the screw shorter? I might reuse these knobs one day so I left them long.
Then I filled my jar with Christmas Candy, and you can hardly see the long screw inside.
Now, doesn’t that look cute all lined up?
Yup, fun Christmas crafting at it's best.
Interested in more ideas for you glass jars? Check out this follow-up post and see what else can be done! http://www.hometalk.com/11143987/diy-christmas-upcycling-glass-jars-for-gifts

21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Author Lisa L Wiedmeier

• Fmb0427
    Fmb0427

Could you cover the screws? A hardware store might have something made of rubber or vinyl that could cover up the ends, so the screw would be rubbing up against the candies.

• Rebecca Brantley
      Rebecca Brantley

The plastic anchors (do-dads) that go into walls where studs aren't present wouldn't work as a cover because they would expand out like an anchor.. I personally would just e6000 the knob on or cut the bolt end shorter, perhaps even find shorter knob bolts.. it's all in what we as the crafter prefers as the author says she left hers long just in case she would want to reuse them else where later on..

• Gigi
    Gigi

So then am I correct in assuming that the knobs are purely decorative as these lids 'screw' on and can't simply be pulled off?

• Dcu22848904
    Dcu22848904

i have tons of large , like almost a gallon size pickle jars that my husband goes through in a week at a time. I thought about reusing them to store food or something in but i cant get the dill smell out of them. tryed everything. Any advice as to what else i could use them for? I hate throwing them away. we do recycle so maybe its ok just to get rid of them. I keep thinking Im going to see some genius idea for them. thanks if you have any. denise
    • Stolzy
      Stolzy

My MIL gave me the recipe, so far it's worked.

2 c. Water

2 T. Baking Soda

1 T. Salt

1 T. Dawn

Stir it up. Try to not mix too much, we don't want a bunch of bubbles.

Take several paper towels, or tshirt rags, I use the tshirts so I can reuse them. Once they have absorbed the mix lay them on the inside of the jar. Water it down a bit for the lid. You don't want the rubber seal to smell like Dawn.

Set them out in the sun. I just put the lid in a window sill & after about 2 hours take my kitchen toothbrush and a bit more salt and scrub it.

I know the jars have been out long enough when my playlist has finished. That takes the same amount of time field me to dust and vacuum the house.

Wash them out really well or dishwasher. No more smelly.

• Bridget
    Bridget

I like it a lot!!!

• Bonita
    Bonita

Absolutely love the options and the look! I am inspired in creating these & putting them throughout the house with different uses in mind. Thank you for sharing.