DIY Christmas - Candy Jars

$12.00

Here’s a DIY Christmas idea that would look great on your buffet, counter or anywhere else you’d place some Christmas treats! (Original Post 12/2013)
Here’s a DIY Christmas idea that would look great on your buffet, counter or anywhere else you’d place some Christmas treats!
I’m a collector of sorts…okay, the hubby calls it trash most of the time, but every now and again I surprise him and create something magical out of my trash. This would be one of those times.
I’ve been collecting spaghetti/Alfredo jars, wine bottles and other misc bottles, because they typically have character to them. I’d been stashing them in the garage when I’d finished using the contents. I kept them because I knew one day I’d come up with something creative to change, transform them, repurpose them.
I was perusing Pinterest and found a pin where the spaghetti jars were repurposed. And of course, as always, I gave them my signature “Lisa spin”.
Your basic run of the mill spaghetti jar. I washed the jar and then soaked it in warm soapy
water to remove the labels. Worked like a charm.
I then sprayed the lid with flat black paint and drilled a hole in the center.
I found some pretty knobs at 50% off at Hobby Lobby.
I screwed the knob on, and used the washer provided to secure it to the lid. You notice I didn’t cut the screw shorter? I might reuse these knobs one day so I left them long.
Then I filled my jar with Christmas Candy, and you can hardly see the long screw inside.
Now, doesn’t that look cute all lined up?
Yup, fun Christmas crafting at it's best.
Interested in more ideas for you glass jars? Check out this follow-up post and see what else can be done! http://www.hometalk.com/11143987/diy-christmas-upcycling-glass-jars-for-gifts

Author Lisa L Wiedmeier

• Fmb0427

Could you cover the screws? A hardware store might have something made of rubber or vinyl that could cover up the ends, so the screw would be rubbing up against the candies.

• Gigi

So then am I correct in assuming that the knobs are purely decorative as these lids 'screw' on and can't simply be pulled off?

• Dcu22848904

i have tons of large , like almost a gallon size pickle jars that my husband goes through in a week at a time. I thought about reusing them to store food or something in but i cant get the dill smell out of them. tryed everything. Any advice as to what else i could use them for? I hate throwing them away. we do recycle so maybe its ok just to get rid of them. I keep thinking Im going to see some genius idea for them. thanks if you have any. denise
    • June

Have you tried baking soda? I've seen many articles about how baking soda will clean about anything you have a problem with. Get the inside of the jar wet and sprinkle soda into it. Scrub thoroughly with a damp sponge. Rinse. Let jar, without lid, sit in the sun for several hours. I hope this helps.

• Imissdaddybear

Went to your blog, your jars are so pretty, love your creativity . Cannot wait to read your books. You have been truly blessed with an abundance of talent. Thank you so much for sharing it all with us. Bless you!!

• Ida9464

These are so darling! I love your ideas! I want some jars now to do this. May I come to your house for Christmas?