DIY Christmas - Candy Jars

$12.00

Here’s a DIY Christmas idea that would look great on your buffet, counter or anywhere else you’d place some Christmas treats! (Original Post 12/2013)
Here’s a DIY Christmas idea that would look great on your buffet, counter or anywhere else you’d place some Christmas treats!
I’m a collector of sorts…okay, the hubby calls it trash most of the time, but every now and again I surprise him and create something magical out of my trash. This would be one of those times.
I’ve been collecting spaghetti/Alfredo jars, wine bottles and other misc bottles, because they typically have character to them. I’d been stashing them in the garage when I’d finished using the contents. I kept them because I knew one day I’d come up with something creative to change, transform them, repurpose them.
I was perusing Pinterest and found a pin where the spaghetti jars were repurposed. And of course, as always, I gave them my signature “Lisa spin”.
Your basic run of the mill spaghetti jar. I washed the jar and then soaked it in warm soapy
water to remove the labels. Worked like a charm.
I then sprayed the lid with flat black paint and drilled a hole in the center.
I found some pretty knobs at 50% off at Hobby Lobby.
I screwed the knob on, and used the washer provided to secure it to the lid. You notice I didn’t cut the screw shorter? I might reuse these knobs one day so I left them long.
Then I filled my jar with Christmas Candy, and you can hardly see the long screw inside.
Now, doesn’t that look cute all lined up?
Yup, fun Christmas crafting at it's best.
Interested in more ideas for you glass jars? Check out this follow-up post and see what else can be done! http://www.hometalk.com/11143987/diy-christmas-upcycling-glass-jars-for-gifts

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Author Lisa L Wiedmeier

• Nichol

How did you get the screws into the top ?

• Author Lisa L Wiedmeier

@Nichol I used a carbide drill bit. Carbide drill bits are used for metal, just match it up to the size of the screw on the knob you're using. If you use a regular drill bit that's for wood, you'll ruin it. Also, if you buy your knobs from someplace like Hobby Lobby, the knobs will come with the nut already screwed on, if not, you'll need to find some at your local hardware store to fit your knobs. Just be careful you don't drill the hole too big or you'll have to add metal washers to hold it in place. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to answer them. :)

• Sheryl McCloud

@Nichol I used a simpler technique, a hammer and an ice pick or screwdriver. Nailed the pick thru the lid. Just be sure to use a block under the lid to catch the pick

• R Darren Sanford

These are the epitome of awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. Definitely going to do this.

• Heather

Also if it was me I would use a screw tap or nut to hold it to the jar kid that way you could cut off any of the excess knob screw that hangs down into the jar and would show as the candy was used out of it. This would open this craft up to using home made candy to give as gifts.

• Smallene

Just use a metal saw to cut off part of the screw - at least that's what I would do.

• Peggy Little Auldridge

She didn't want to cut the screws off because she may use the knobs on something else in the future.

• Judy Hornbrook

OR just get some cute little Christmassy ornaments at the $$ Store, and glue them on the lid.

• Mary

I use them in my sewing room to hold butttons, jewelry findings and assorted sized safety pins

• Ter2283459

Neat idea, however, I would want to cut the length off the screws if I were giving as a gift.

• JEWEL C

Thanks for the idea. I have been collecting , saving my glass coffee jars and have quite a few. The lids are plastic so I will use a hot punch to make the hole and check out knobs at the hardware departments. The jars are from Nestle and have a nice shape too.

• Lso14109100

Where do you buy the knobs

• Linda Parrish

where do you find the canning jars that big?

• Author Lisa L Wiedmeier

Those aren't canning jars, they're just your regular run of the mill spaghetti jars that were saved after I used up the sauce.

• Lori Hunter Joseph

The photos with this article most definitely show Atlas Canning jars.

• Author Lisa L Wiedmeier

They may be, but I bought them filled with spaghetti sauce.

• Ann Marie Nye

Prego or classic sauce I think comes in atlas....O how many I have thrown away.....waaaaaaa

• Stephanie Madera-Zinkand

The commercial tomato sauce jar: This jar is not a real canning jar in spite of being labeled “Atlas Mason.” According to the center, this type of jar may be used with a two-part lid for canning high-acid foods in a hot-water bath, but there is a greater possibility of sealing failures and jar breakage. This jar also has a smaller neck than a regular-mouth quart jar, which makes it harder to fill. use them for storing dry goods, but never for canning.

• Robert Wing

Classico pasta sauces use this 1 1/2 pint jars for about half their sauces. They are very useable for canning with regular mouth jar lids!

• Julie Harris

Where do you get lids like that? I haven't seen them on mason jars

• Fmb0427

Could you cover the screws? A hardware store might have something made of rubber or vinyl that could cover up the ends, so the screw would be rubbing up against the candies.

• Shawna Bailey

Good idea

• Jac

Grind the excess off with a Dremel tool or cut with bolt cutters. A drop of hot glue would cover any cut ends.

• Gayla

Or just glue the knobs with E6000 .
    • Sharon Albrecht-Haas

I might try to use one of those plastic do- dads that you put a screw in when you are drilling into a spot on the wall where there is no stud. I know you can buy them in different sizes and one that was long enough to cover the end of the screw would do the trick.

• Christina Jackson Lewis

Use shorter screws

• Sj

corks?

• Sue Boeding

Maybe cut a wine cork and cover the screw??
    • Rebecca Brantley

The plastic anchors (do-dads) that go into walls where studs aren't present wouldn't work as a cover because they would expand out like an anchor.. I personally would just e6000 the knob on or cut the bolt end shorter, perhaps even find shorter knob bolts.. it's all in what we as the crafter prefers as the author says she left hers long just in case she would want to reuse them else where later on..

• Gigi

So then am I correct in assuming that the knobs are purely decorative as these lids 'screw' on and can't simply be pulled off?

• Dcu22848904

i have tons of large , like almost a gallon size pickle jars that my husband goes through in a week at a time. I thought about reusing them to store food or something in but i cant get the dill smell out of them. tryed everything. Any advice as to what else i could use them for? I hate throwing them away. we do recycle so maybe its ok just to get rid of them. I keep thinking Im going to see some genius idea for them. thanks if you have any. denise
    • Maj11404035

Did you soak them in baking soda and hot water? They would make great cookie jars.

• Connie Flores Haile

I put vinegar inside and close the lid. Leave it for a week or two, shaking it up couple times a day.
    • Dcu22848904

Ok thanks I will give it a try
    • Tina Eads-Hausler

I leve them soak in baking soda and a dish washer tab. I use the big pickle jars for my flour and sugars,rice,pastas,coffee beans they seal nice and tight so it stays fresh and bug free.
    • Dcu22848904

Thank you i will try it. how long do you generally leave them soak?

• Debra Santersiro Perez

I’ve scrubbed mine out with a small Brillo pad and dish soap, rinsed it out well and let it air dry... seemed to work.
    • Joyce

Hot water, salt and dawn dish liquid works for me.
    • Louise Smith

Make mini cookies for Christmas and fill the jars. Paint the lids green or red and cut pictures from gift wrap and podge on the front or around the jar. Have the jars next to the door and when people leave, give them a jar.

• Joann Riley

It’s the lids that hold odor, not the jar. I soak mine in soap & water with a little bleach. Then let sit for a few days ( or weeks for some).
    • Ranee Seekamp

You can purchase these on Amazon. It is a canvas type bag the has charcoal inside put that in you jars and it we absorb any odors. Handy thing too !! That if is seems to not be as effective you can put them ( the bags of charcoal ) in the sun to recharge them . Years ago I had a freezer ( breaker got flipped and didn't know it ) well I had a fish in the freezer to say the least it smelt horrible . But the charcoal bags really cleared the smell out . I swear by them . Good luck !!

• Rhonda DeBusk

I let my pickle jars air out for several weeks, then soak them in warm soapy water and baking soda. Seems to work. I also don't place the kid back on until smell is completely gone.

• June

Have you tried baking soda? I've seen many articles about how baking soda will clean about anything you have a problem with. Get the inside of the jar wet and sprinkle soda into it. Scrub thoroughly with a damp sponge. Rinse. Let jar, without lid, sit in the sun for several hours. I hope this helps.

• Rebecca Brantley

It's actually the lids not the jars because of the rubber seal that is up inside of the metal lid. . Those seals hold odor & at times where mold grows. . I wash my jars in the dishwasher, no special treatment needed, then after cleaned I turn them rim down to store them until use. .the lid(s) I place into a bowl of a mixture of half warm water, 1 heaping Tbl spoon baking soda, a cap full of distilled white vinegar, a drop of any dish liquid. . I never over add ingredients because this is acidity & causes small "volcano like" eruptions.. Soak lids in this mixture over night, follow up with a good warm water rinse then air dry.. I place the lids in a drawer until I need one for a jar..

• Daisy@TX

I'm inspired. I save same jars. However I will saw of the screw part and just glue the knob on the lid (no need for a hole) using E6000. Thanks for sharing.

• Bridget

I like it a lot!!!