Make A Garden Totem

$10

This is a very easy, inexpensive garden project. With some used dishes (glass, ceramic, metal), you can make a garden totem that can be used as a bird bath or feeder. The little birds love something like this that's fairly close to the ground.
Pick dishes you like and make sure they can fit snugly together (some dishes are warped or curved and may not fit).
Use waterproof, clear-drying silicone sealant (not caulking) to join everything together. When applied properly, this forms a lasting bond that allows the totem to remain in the garden year round.
There's a free tutorial and product recommendations on my blog at http://www.empressofdirt.net/how-to-make-glass-garden-totems/
You can make a garden totem in under twenty minutes (plus drying time).
From the bottom up, I used a vase (with a candle stick in it), a wide plate, another vase (with a candle stick), a small plate, and an upside-down votive candle holder.
Join the pieces in pairs, allow them dry, and then join them all together to form the totem. Here I'm using books to press two freshly-joined pieces together while the sealant dries.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Elizabeth Madsen

I really like this !

• PK

Nice...I am always looking for new ideas...This would be a good way to use some of my vases that have collected over the years :-)