Headboard

My daughter wanted a headboard made from tin ceiling tiles.
I bought a sheet of plywood and gathered pieces of trim. I cut the plywood to size for a queen size headboard.
Instead of spending money on real tin tiles, I found 20" x 20" tiles made from Styrofoam. I bought two packs of four tiles for $2.50 each!
I placed the tiles on the plywood and used a variety of trim pieces to fill in the gaps. i have a power miter saw, but also used my old hand saw and miter box and then glued everything in place. I used water based glue and primer so as to not melt the Styrofoam.
Once the primer was dry I used silver paint to paint the whole thing per my daughter's request. Two 2x4's on the back will attach it to her bed frame. She lives in an apartment, so I can't secure it directly to the wall the way I would like to. She absolutely loves it!
Here's the headboard installed. We installed it high for a more dramatic appearance. The lighting in the room wasn't good, so the photo doesn't do it justice (this makes it look washed out and almost whitish, it's actually the silver pictured above). I've had MANY people ask where the tiles can be found. I bought these on Amazon.com.

• Kimberly Croslin-Spencer

What primer and silver paint did you use and did you use a sealer on top of the silver paint? Does the foam crumble onto the pillows?

• Carole DiRienzo

I couldn’t find a four pack for $2.50 on Amazon. Would you mind sending a link?

• Dxfrye

You don't really give any details as to how you used the 2x4s to make the headboard attach to the b3df4ame?

• Jacx

You can also buy a French Cleat system, one piece on the wall and one piece on the board. They angle into each other. Very sturdy. I think she said they couldn't attach it to the wall. Give it "legs" of the wood so it stands. The problem w this is if you are a couple it can get noisy from banging into the wall! Been there, done that! Put serious pads behind it to damp it out. Stand it, Velcro it to the wall to keep it immobile. That's what i did, along w pads.