Marisposa
Marisposa
  • South Plainfield, NJ
Asked on Mar 5, 2013

Cleaning marble - Help!

MarisposaLaneySherrie
+9

I have a beautiful emerald green marble in my shower...but I have hardwater...so you can imagine the work involved to clean the crud off...does anyone know an easier way without damaging the marble??
  • you need to be careful when cleaning marble of any type. It is easily etched by acid based materials such as vinegar and many of the other tile cleaners sold over the counter. specialty products that are made for stone such as this. http://store.countertopspecialty.com/Stone-Care-Pro-BATH-SHOWER-Cleaner-Soap-Film-Hard-Water-Remover-1-QT-p170.html should be considered. Lastly a good quality paste wax or stone sealer is in order once you get the shower clean to assure that the water will bead off and not build up on the surface. Any real good quality stone sealer or auto paste wax will work.

• Marisposa

Thank you for the tip.

• Jeanette S

My sister has well water and fought a battle with milky look on her shower doors. I suggested she dissolve a little Cascade in hot water, let it melt and use that water to clean with. It worked perfectly. But be careful to make sure you do not use use only the liquid so as not to scratch it. Cascade also took all the water stains out of her dishwasher! It is an easy, cheap try at cleaning it.

• Sherrie

You also need to seal it yearly. Maybe it's harder because it hasn't been sealed?

• Marisposa

Thanks, no it wasn't sealed .

• Marisposa

Thank you for your help.

• Marisposa

no, it wasn't sealed..........BIG mistake :(

• Sherrie

You can use steel wool to clean it. I went to the several different sights to check. This sight will tell you how to tell the differences in different marbles, how to clean. Actually paste wax for cars can prevent hard water build up, or re-sealing it. But they are suggesting you use steel wool to clean it. http://www.marble-institute.com/stoneprofessionals/commercial_care_clean.pdf Never use abrasives, dry or soft, never use vinegar, bleach, lemon juice, grout cleaners, bath room cleaners, tub or tile cleaners. Anything that has acid will damage it. They suggest using ammonia and water to clean it. But they also tell you if you use this a lot it will dull it. It is so confusing about cleaning anything anymore, I hope this helps a little.

• Marisposa

i checked out the site. lots of good information, thank you!

• Laney

Clean it with salt , make a paste

• Marisposa

Salt paste sounds like an easy and safe solution. Will try!