Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU
Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU
  • Bolingbrook, IL

Salvaged wood desk transformed with chalk paint, bubble wrap and faux leather

I found this wood desk on the curb, wanted to try to keep the original wood finish but it was just too far gone, so I spruced it up with some chalk paint, a faux leather top, and added bubble wrap and plaster texture to the drawer fronts.
salvaged wood desk transformed with chalk paint bubble wrap and faux leather, chalk paint, painted furniture
Salvaged wooden desk with bubble wrap plaster texture and faux leather top.
This desk was in bad shape, but I love this furniture era
Plaster or drywall compound textured with bubble wrap.
Paint and glaze applied to drawer front.
The desk top, in bad shape, has been covered with faux leather.
Drawer fronts textured with plaster and bubble wrap.
Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU

• Barbara Artis Dunham

Probably not. I saw a question about cleaning grease from wood cabinets but then it disappeared?

• Pdwells59

How did you do the faux leather top?

• Cynthia

I am interested in how you did the faux leather top also (I see that Pdwells59 has already asked this). Excellent makeover. I have a piece I may try this with.

• Ellen

She did this in 2013 so I don't think you will get an answer from her, but she did say this: The desk top was covered with faux leather, and stapled to the underneath of the desk using a staple gun. At the corners, we folded the faux leather like you would wrapping paper on a gift.

• Vicki McDonald

For a little more detail, go to this above and click on Go:

Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!.

Someone else asked about this and she didn't respond to them either.

• Cynthia

Thanks Vicki.... I will be checking out your projects also. Now I need to get some faux leather and try this out.

• Dee

The corners do not look folded like package but smooth?

• Brenda

I have an old desk almost identical to this one. The finish is like a veneer though--shiny and very smooth. Can I do this on that type of surface? If you think I can---what kind of paint will stick on it and how do I prep the surface?

• Bijous

Brenda, give the primer something to grab onto by lightly sanding with a medium grade sandpaper. Then use a primer that will adhere to plastic. Let dry. Then do whatever technique you want.

• Jennifer

I’d like more information about how you got the effect from the bubble wrap? A step by step for that would be great.

• Esther

@Jennifer, she gives pretty detailed instructions on her blog post. Click on the "Go" button & it takes you directly to the post.

• Lesa

How did you get the corners so smooth?

• Candace

is that faux leather a kind of paint or a material?

• Margaret

I would like to try but need more info on how you did the drawers.

• Goldie Claar

Me too

• Dana

Beautiful transformationof an ugly piece of furniture.. love how it turned out and looks amazing.. thanks for the great idea ...

• Mimischenkel0

Did you the bubble wrap off after design

• Annie Doherty

Terrific I love your desk, thank you for the inspiration. I'm looking forward to trying this, something different. Brilliant 💞

• Carol Cole

I love it to, but I want to know more about the top and more explanation on the draws would be nice.