Heather B
Heather B
  • Lake Mary, FL
Asked on Dec 9, 2011

Hello!

D fuhrmanHeather BCharles R
+6

I was wondering if anyone knew of a nursery that sells gopher apple and saw palmetto in the Orlando area? I am a state wildlife rehabber for bats and gopher tortoises and I am designing a tortoise enclosure for my backyard. I would love to plant these for my mending tortoises to graze on!
Thanks! Heather

Heather, give Kevin Bagwell at Full Moon Natives in Port Orange a call. He has both of those on his "in stock" list, but it's always best to check before you go. 386-212-9923. And good for you for your rehab efforts!

• Heather B

Thank you so much for the info!

You're welcome, Heather. Kevin is very passionate about Florida natives and I'm happy to send you his way.

• Harold M

Didn't realize Gopher Tortises were still around. Very cool that your giving them habitat

We're lucky to still have quite a few gopher tortoises in New Smyrna. If you're ever down this way make a visit to Smyrna Dunes Park and walk the boardwalk. You're pretty sure to see one.

• Charles R

Save the Gopher Tortoises! I love those little fellas. Even bigger lover of Bats. Gopher Tortoises and Bats are everywhere here in Wekiva in Longwood.

• Heather B

Thanks for all the encouragement! Douglas, I will definitley check out the park. I am always on the lookout for tortoises!

• Heather B

Charles, Ive had more bat calls from your area than perhaps anywhere else! Ive met so many people who are bat lovers from your neck of the woods =) So great!

• D fuhrman

heather i live in athens,ga and have a gopher tortoise. i'd love to know more about your enclosure.