Betty-Anne J
Betty-Anne J
  • Canada
Asked on Mar 6, 2013

Fabric/colour for my valances in my kitchen

Rosemary KenneyMichelle HarbeeC Crow
+3

I would like to change out my valances in my kitchen. Was thinking about a geometric plain fabric that I can put colourful pillows on the chairs and a rug underneath. My local fabric stores don't have much so I wondered if there is any cool patterns on the net that you could suggest. Or, should I go with a colour? I have medium oak cabinets and paint colour is a warm peanut shell colour.
Here are the valances that I currently have
Here are the cabinets... lots of wood in the kitchen.  The island is going to be painted BM Buckhorn (darker brown)
Here are the cabinets... lots of wood in the kitchen. The island is going to be painted BM Buckhorn (darker brown)
And yes, even more cabinets.  In the process of changing the hardware as well.
And yes, even more cabinets. In the process of changing the hardware as well.
  • Cyndi Moore Tippett

With so much brown and cabinets, I would use a brown and teal/powder blue/taupe color scheme that is popular now. You could go for a yellow/forest green color scheme, too. Actually you could go with almost any color scheme with the neutral colors you have now.

• Betty-Anne J

Thanks cyndi

• Wen1364241

Hi from Australia. My choice of fabric would be white with a repeat yellow morrocan tile shape pattern. With a plain white pull down roller blind behind.

• C Crow

Oh to have so many lovely cabinets! Love to see a photo when you have your new curtains, too.

• Michelle Harbee

Your windows would appear much larger without the valances. I would add ceiling to floor curtains on either sides of each window instead.

• Rosemary Kenney

I would suggest fabric covered cornices. My daughter just made some for her kitchen/den area. It was her first time. Her husband bought her a table saw and she took it from there! They are beautiful! And she said it was super easy. What a difference they've made....very elegant, too. She's always doing a project and I urge her to put it on Hometalk but she doesn't.