Melisa M
Melisa M
  • Miami, OK
Asked on Mar 6, 2013

Vegetable seeds won't start

Douglas HuntMelisa MKMS Woodworks
+2

About a month ago I started tomato, pepper, broccoli and cauliflower seeds. Also some herbs and flower seeds in my new little greenhouse. I planted them in starting medium in seed starting tray with clear plastic lids. It's been warm inside greenhouse during the day. They still haven't germinated. What am I doing wrong? Oh and they are newly purchased seeds.

Tomato seeds sown in a greenhouse should germinate in no more than 10 days, Melisa. You say the temperature has been warm during the day, but what about at night? You should be aiming for a constant temperature of about 70 degrees. Did you mist the trays when you started so that the soil is staying moist (but not wet)?

• Empress of Dirt - Melissa

I have the same questions as Douglas, plus, did you plant the seeds at the depths recommended on the seed packets? If planted too deeply, germination can be delayed or not occur. The broccoli and cauliflower don't mind cooler temps but the tomato and pepper will want a consistent 70 degrees.

• KMS Woodworks

Do you have any left over seeds? I would start these again indoors, ensuring the soil is fully moist, I have seen "new" potting mix repel water until it initially gets damp. Some times a drop or two of dish soap can help "wet" the water by reducing the surface tension.

• Melisa M

Thank you for the advice. There is no electricity to greenhouse yet. I thought of no heat at night could be a problem. Hopefully winter is over and no more real cold nights. Thank you again for he help.

You may want to start the tomatoes and peppers indoors, then, Melisa. They want more than winter just being over.