$15 Magic Magnetic State Pride Keyholder

$15

With only a couple tools, a few magnets, and some epoxy, and an offcut of nice hardwood, you can build this Magic Magnetic State Pride Keyholder. Rep your home state and keep your keys in an easy to find spot all in one! For other great home decor projects check out my Home Decor projects page.
First decide what state you are going to use and print off an outline from a Google image search. Then feel the power as you make any needed changes to the state lines you see fit! For example I made the left edge of Ohio vertical instead of slanted.
Now find a small piece of hardwood that will fit your design. This piece of walnut was about 6" by 6". I planed and sanded it before use, but if you can't do that then make sure you get a smooth piece. Check your local lumber supplier for offcuts for very cheap or FREE.
Cut out the state shape and spray the back with spray adhesive. A little goes a long way here. Stick the cut out to the wood.
Now jigsaw your little heart out, getting as close to the lines as possible. Use relief cuts as necessary to get in the nooks.
Peel off the outline and then sand all the edges smooth. It pays to be making Colorado at this point :)
Drill 1/2" holes in the BACK where you want to keys to hang.
Use epoxy to glue in the magnets into each hole and attach mounting hardware to the back.
Sand and apply finish to the state. I used Boiled Linseed Oil, polyurethane and mineral spirits mixed equally. Check out that wood grain!
Hang on the wall in the perfect spot. And watch your keys "magically" hang from your beautiful work!
If you want more awesome Home Decor projects, check out my Home Decor projects page. And for the full tutorial walk through with tips and tricks on drilling the holes, cutting and sanding, follow the link below to link through to my guest post on Pretty Handy Girl.

• Wood
  • Magnet

FixThisBuildThat

• Teresa

If there is a *Tile* on the key ring will it be affected by the magnet?

• Karol Olson

That is beautiful, and I'd love to make one for our house. But I live in Maryland. :)

• Kathy Colbert Renz

I just saw that Bed Bath & Beyond sells cutting boards shaped like states. Since I don’t own or know how to use a jigsaw, I think I’ll start with a cutting board of my state. Maybe they have a Maryland one that would work for you. I think your state must be the toughest shape.

• Leah M

You could probably sell these on etsy