How to Clean Silver

You may remember that I found this silver platter at the thrift store for half price. Its no surprise that people were passing this up, I mean look how dirty and tarnished it is. Well, I am a thrifty chick and was drawn to the engraving and holly detail so I bought it hoping I could revive it.
Before beginning this process I tried using my silver cleaning cloth that I use for cleaning my jewelry but it wasn't looking too hot so I continued with my plan of trying the DIY silver cleaner I found online.
Simply line your sink with foil.......
then let the platter soak in extremely hot salty water for about 40 minutes.
I started with four tablespoons of salt.
Along the way I added a little more salt and some baking soda then rinsed it and dried it with a paper towel.
Once it was dry I used a soft cloth and the remaining tarnish wiped right off......
revealing a beautiful silver Christmas platter....my diamond in the rough!
You can see more pics and the full tutorial on my blog.

10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

• Bette J Miller
    Bette J Miller

Would this work on large items? We have a large very ornate pitcher we use for communionand it needs cleaning
    • Katherine Cicigoi
      Katherine Cicigoi

Plastic tubs come in all sizes. Put the p. Tub into a larger cardboard box. Lightly stuff newspapers all around tub. This will insulate the hot water pretty well. Be sure to cover all with more cardboard and newspapers....oh, don't forget th Reynolds Wrap.
  • Dorothy Wirth
    Dorothy Wirth

Wouldn’t this remove the intensional tarnish used to enhance details?

• Kathy Bourgot
    Kathy Bourgot

Can you use this same process on jewelry?

• Sheila Ryan
      Sheila Ryan

Depending on whether it is real sterling silver or not. It should work. I use baking soda with the foil. All the tarnish is left on the foil & smells horrible. Rinse afterwards.

• Ann S.
    Ann S.

I was told by a jeweler to NEVER use the aluminum foil on method on REAL SILVER!! So, I for 1 would not try this method.

• Jenny
    Jenny

Not on silver plated items. This process uses electrolysis to lift off a minute later of silver. So works ok but one day the last layer will come off and you are left with base metal.