How to Clean Silver

327K Views
You may remember that I found this silver platter at the thrift store for half price. Its no surprise that people were passing this up, I mean look how dirty and tarnished it is. Well, I am a thrifty chick and was drawn to the engraving and holly detail so I bought it hoping I could revive it.
  • how to clean silver, cleaning tips, how to
Before beginning this process I tried using my silver cleaning cloth that I use for cleaning my jewelry but it wasn't looking too hot so I continued with my plan of trying the DIY silver cleaner I found online.
Simply line your sink with foil.......
then let the platter soak in extremely hot salty water for about 40 minutes.
I started with four tablespoons of salt.
Along the way I added a little more salt and some baking soda then rinsed it and dried it with a paper towel.
Once it was dry I used a soft cloth and the remaining tarnish wiped right off......
revealing a beautiful silver Christmas platter....my diamond in the rough!
You can see more pics and the full tutorial on my blog.

Suggested materials for this project:

Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

• Paz bea
      Paz bea Guaynabo, PR

I have some silvers bought in an antique store and I tried to clean them but the tarnished didn't disappear. I'll try this and I hope my silver will look new and shiny. Thanks

• Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos
          Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos Kansas City, MO

@Paz bea In my post I showed that it gradually lifted for me, and in the end I wiped the rest right off with a soft towel. The tarnish might not ALL lift right off but whatever is left should wipe right off with ease with this process.

• Hannah V
          Hannah V Brooklyn, NY

WOW that really works!