How to Clean Silver

You may remember that I found this silver platter at the thrift store for half price. Its no surprise that people were passing this up, I mean look how dirty and tarnished it is. Well, I am a thrifty chick and was drawn to the engraving and holly detail so I bought it hoping I could revive it.
how to clean silver, cleaning tips, how to
Before beginning this process I tried using my silver cleaning cloth that I use for cleaning my jewelry but it wasn't looking too hot so I continued with my plan of trying the DIY silver cleaner I found online.
Simply line your sink with foil.......
then let the platter soak in extremely hot salty water for about 40 minutes.
I started with four tablespoons of salt.
Along the way I added a little more salt and some baking soda then rinsed it and dried it with a paper towel.
Once it was dry I used a soft cloth and the remaining tarnish wiped right off......
revealing a beautiful silver Christmas platter....my diamond in the rough!
You can see more pics and the full tutorial on my blog.
Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos

• Marjorie Mead

How do you keep the water hot

• Tara Roach

My housekeeper boils a big pot of salty water and pours it into the sink...just enough to cover the item(s). Allow to soak the 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle.

• Bette J Miller

Would this work on large items? We have a large very ornate pitcher we use for communionand it needs cleaning

• Katherine Cicigoi

Plastic tubs come in all sizes. Put the p. Tub into a larger cardboard box. Lightly stuff newspapers all around tub. This will insulate the hot water pretty well. Be sure to cover all with more cardboard and newspapers....oh, don't forget th Reynolds Wrap.

• Dorothy Wirth

Wouldn’t this remove the intensional tarnish used to enhance details?

• Carolyn

I use this method all the time. No pitting. Sparkles. I won't go back to the old method of elbow grease and silver polish. No need now.

• Mar8335105

How long do you leave it to soak

• @MARGARETBEARDSHAW I let it soak a total of about a half hour (ish). I mentioned in my post that I let it soak longer than I expected and added more salt so it was roughly a half hour probably.