Liana B
Liana B
  • Acworth, GA
Asked on Dec 11, 2011

I have a Meyer lemon tree.

Douglas HuntFlowerscapes Garden Design & LandscapingLiana B
+6

It is not very big, perhaps 1.5 ft high. I have brought it inside for the winter but I am concerned about it. It is dropping leaves. Is that normal? What can I do to keep it alive over the winter? Is there a way of putting a type of cover over it that will act as a greenhouse?
  • Erica Glasener

Liana, bringing a plant from the outside to the inside it's not surprising that it would drop some of its leaves, the shock. But you want to make sure you site it in a bright (sunny if possible) window and you can also place the pot on a saucer with gravel and water so it gets some extra humidity. Hot indoor air will also cause it to loose a few leaves. Water when the soil is dry to the touch. It should recover but will be happy once spring arrives and you can bring it back outside.

• Erica is exactly right and it just so happens that Lemons and Limes tend to be the most cold sensitive of all Citrus, too.

When you take your plant back out in the spring (and when you bring it in again next fall) you can reduce its stress by making the transition less abrupt. Move it to a shady spot outside for a couple of weeks first so the change in amount of light is not so dramatic.

• Liana B

Thanks very much.

You're welcome, Liana. Good luck with your Meyer lemon.

• Mike and Anne

Next year you may want to bring your Meyer Lemon back in the house a bit earlier. As Douglas says, move it to a shady place for a few days and bring it inside before nighttime temperatures outdoors get below 55 degrees.

• Liana B

Actually, I did bring it in probably about a month ago. I just don't think it looks like it is doing very well. I have moved it to a sunnier location but I don't have the best exposure in my home.

• My Meyer Lemon did well for several years. If you have a great memory, you can put it outside on a warm day. Just remember to take it in.

Your Meyer definitely wants as much sun as possible, Liana.