Ronnie  Benson
Ronnie Benson
  • Lithonia, GA
Asked on Dec 11, 2011

help mygas furnace is cycleing, can I do anything?

Emperor cooling and heatingJoe WashingtonWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+4

• Can you explain more about this? Is it blowing air, but the gas keeps turning on and off? Or is the fan turning on and off while the gas keeps trying to heat?

• Ronnie Benson

The unit is heating, but the furnace is going on and off.I. It's like, the unit is not reaching the proper tempature.

• Hudson Designs

Sounds like a circuit board problem. You should call out a HVAC Tech.

• KMS Woodworks

This could also be an issue with the high low limit that cycles the main fan.

• Did you recently change your thermostat? The heat anticipator that assists the thermostat in controlling the heat may be out of adjustment. This little device fools the thermostat into thinking its warmer in the room then it really is. Thus prevents the room from over heating. If this control is set wrong it will heat up the thermostat so fast that it will turn off the furnace as soon as it turns on. Then almost as fast turn it back on again.

• Joe Washington

I would side with Hudson and definately have the circuit board checked. I just had one replaced on my unit because the furnace would start only when I manually controlled it with the thermostat.

• Emperor cooling and heating

Has this problem been resolved? If not what is the approximate age of the furnace?