Make Your Own Christmas PotPourri From Your Garden

.Have you ever made your own potpourri? It's something I used to do along with a bunch of garden club members. So simple to create your own.....
Head out to your garden with your trusty clippers to gather items for homemade potpourri.
Choose fresh greens like cedar and soft needled pine (I used dawn redwood clippings), a few rosehips and some dried flowers like hydrangea and sedum heads.
For colour, you might want to add tiny rose hips from a wild rose. Use the small ones as they dry quickly and don't go mushy like the larger ones. If you don't have any in your area, don't worry - your potpourri will still be great.
Cut the cedar and pine pieces into small pieces and let dry for a couple of days. Alternatively you can use a dehydrator or dry them using the microwave method (link on the blog). Toss the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add some cinnamon sticks crushed up.
Choose whatever essential oil suits your taste. Add about 8-10 drops. I used a Christmas Wreath essential oil because I wanted that fresh cedar & pine smell that evokes old fashioned Christmas to me. But you could add some dried orange slices and use orange oil too.
Fill little sachet bags, small pillows or just put it into a decorative bowl.

Heather (New House New Home)

• Barbara

This is a great idea! I make my own lavender potpourri in the summer with our two lavender bushes in bloom, but it never occurred to me that the warm fragrance of pine and berry could add that bit of 'Christmas' to our home during the holidays! Off to get the clippers!

• Sandra Crosbie

You obviously have a wonderful garden, full of beautiful plant treasure. Personally at the moment my garden looks like a swamp because it hasn't stopped raining for days. Enjoy the aromatic smell from your garden. Happy Christmas to you.