Suzanne
Suzanne
  • Land O Lakes, FL

Southern Charm, A Vintage Marketplace

Painting Kitchen Cabinets is easy peasy for Southern Charm. and Sara Cook
Kitchen Cabinets Before
Kitchen Cabinets Before
Sarah's cabinets were a plain wood color, too drab for a DIYer. So, she took off her cabinet knobs, got two quarts of the Dixie Belle Mineral Paint (chalk based paint) in the Fluff color, and a cheap, thin paint brush. It's hard to believe, but there are very few steps to this project. She wiped her cabinets down with a damp cloth, then painted on very thin but good even coats giving each coat a good two hours to dry. This was good so it did not have drips.
Kitchen Cabinets After
Kitchen Cabinets After
She came back the next day and applied one coat of the polyacrylic in Satin finish. Gave it 7 days to set, then she reattached her knobs and had her easy peasy update using easy peasy Dixie Belle Mineral Paint! It's as simple as that!!!

• Dre2728014

Don't you have to prep the wood before you apply the mineral paint? I was told that I had to remove any grease or stains, and then sand down the finish before I could do anything.

• Annette

I've noticed different paints have different instructions. Some say sand, others degrease and some contain the primer right into the product so you don't prep at all.

• Hannah V

@Suzanne I love this post soo much I actually have a fun question for you! Can you email me at hannah@hometalk.com when you get a chance? :)

• L Fursdon

Looks Great! I just finished painting mine and used oil based enamel to paint them. took quite a bit longer for dry time but it hardens extremely well and then no need for a top coat.