Cynthia - Clockworkinteriors
Cynthia - Clockworkinteriors
  • Woodinville, WA

DIY State Silhouette Tray WITHOUT the Use of a Cutting Machine!

Are you like me and don't have (or want) a Silhouette machine? Not to mention the expensive paper needed to operate it?! I'm a firm believer that crafts should be cheap and cheerful ... not expensive and cumbersome. I'm here to show you that with an image you like, some contact paper and scissors, it's limitless what you can create!
diy state silhouette tray without the use of a cutting machine, crafts, repurposing upcycling
This project started out with a visit to a reuse it center where I purchased an old desk drawer and some copper handles, knowing that I could turn them into an awesome tray!
The addition of a state silhouette would elevate this project as gift worthy -- definitely upping the tray's awesomeness!!
I found an image of Washington state on the computer. Because of the tray's size, I printed it out on two separate pieces of paper. I then cut out my state, and taped it together.
Place state cutout on contact paper and trace with a sharpie or pen. FYI, it doesn't matter which side of the contact paper you trace on -- my paper was very busy toile, so It was easier for me to trace on the back! Cut out your contact paper state image.
I didn't care for the drawer's natural finish, so I gave the whole thing a quick coat of Dark Walnut stain. Once the stain was dry, I peeled off the back of the contact paper and adhered it to the bottom of my drawer "tray". Then I gave the whole thing a really quick coat of leftover paint. To avoid bleed through, while the paint was still wet, I took a pin and very carefully pulled off the state decal -- just like they tell you to do with painter's tape. ;)
Voila!! The dark stain was a smart choice!
Because I wanted my tray to have a more rustic, weathered look, I distressed and dark glazed/waxed the whole thing. And because it's a tray that will actually be used -- I gave it a couple coats of General Finishes High Performance Top Coat ---- spray poly would also work great!!
The reuse it center copper handles are so sturdy and heavy -- and they look amazing with the dark walnut stain and gray paint!
And because the contact paper cutout was still sticky, (and I couldn't bear to throw it away!) I decided to adhere it to an old painted canvas; painted over that; and voila!! State wall art -- Pottery Barn would charge a fortune for a canvas this size!
So you're getting two projects for the price of one!! Feel free to check out my full post for additional pictures and tips! http://www.clockworkinteriors.com/?p=2953

Cynthia - Clockworkinteriors