Easy Painted Concrete Rug

This is an easy tutorial that leaves you with a beautifully painted patio you'll enjoy for years to come!
My husband and I were tired of looking at our plain patio, but couldn't find an outdoor rug that fit our space. Finally, I got an idea and decided to try painting it!
After giving the porch a thorough cleaning and allowing it to dry, it was time to prep for paint.
We used painter's tape to mark the outline of the rug and then added tape going across to create stripes.
After the taping process was complete, it was time to paint!
I used a white concrete paint that I picked up from a local hardware store. I selected one that had paint and primer in one and applied two coats.
I wanted to give the rug a little extra pizzaz and help it look more like an actual rug, so I used the same paint to add a fringe to the ends. I freehanded it, which was a bit scary but I LOVE how it turned out! :) You can see more pictures of the process on my blog!

Porch Cleaner
Scrub Brush
Bucket

15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Tania // Run to Radiance

• Kim Richards
    Kim Richards

I have a wooden deck and I was wondering if this would work. I would love to paint a rug on it.

• Truus Malley
      Truus Malley

I think you can do this by using different color wood stain. Maybe even mix some of the stains to get the color you want. I am due for a new floor on my deck and am thinking about doing this. love the look.

• Chi7445269
    Chi7445269

I have two large concrete areas around my home that have been mistreated over the years. There are cracks, rust marks, paint or other stained areas, etc. I've been puzzling over what I can do to rescue/significantly upgrade the area, but have rejected paint as being too boring/not likely to succeed in covering up the stained areas. I wish I could afford to hire the people who use that (epoxy?) material, since I'm unable to do that process myself. But can someone "here" advise on how one might overcome the issues of boring/inadequate coverage (peeling off the concrete over time, etc.) using paint? THANKS!

• Misty
      Misty

I also have this problem, even have cut msrks in some bricks where apparently wood was chopped to throw on the fire! I have learned to embrace tthe flaws and incorporate them into the design. E.g. a crack in the plaster gets shadows and highlighted with paint rather than try to fix and coverup.

• Starr Slone Bommarito
    Starr Slone Bommarito

Does the concrete paint peel up when you move your chair across it? Did you use some kind of top coat?

• Dfm
      Dfm

I had used a paint specific to concrete when I painted my “ rug” on my back concrete patio, there was no sealer on it. But I did put it on after painting the rug.