Easy Painted Concrete Rug

This is an easy tutorial that leaves you with a beautifully painted patio you'll enjoy for years to come!
easy painted concrete rug, concrete masonry, diy, outdoor living, patio
My husband and I were tired of looking at our plain patio, but couldn't find an outdoor rug that fit our space. Finally, I got an idea and decided to try painting it!
After giving the porch a thorough cleaning and allowing it to dry, it was time to prep for paint.
We used painter's tape to mark the outline of the rug and then added tape going across to create stripes.
After the taping process was complete, it was time to paint!
I used a white concrete paint that I picked up from a local hardware store. I selected one that had paint and primer in one and applied two coats.
I wanted to give the rug a little extra pizzaz and help it look more like an actual rug, so I used the same paint to add a fringe to the ends. I freehanded it, which was a bit scary but I LOVE how it turned out! :) You can see more pictures of the process on my blog!
Tania // Run to Radiance

• Kim Richards

I have a wooden deck and I was wondering if this would work. I would love to paint a rug on it.

• Lisa

My sister painted a beautiful rug on her deck using recommended paint from Sherwin Williams. I wish I could post a picture for you to see!

• Chi7445269

I have two large concrete areas around my home that have been mistreated over the years. There are cracks, rust marks, paint or other stained areas, etc. I've been puzzling over what I can do to rescue/significantly upgrade the area, but have rejected paint as being too boring/not likely to succeed in covering up the stained areas. I wish I could afford to hire the people who use that (epoxy?) material, since I'm unable to do that process myself. But can someone "here" advise on how one might overcome the issues of boring/inadequate coverage (peeling off the concrete over time, etc.) using paint? THANKS!

• Starr Slone Bommarito

Does the concrete paint peel up when you move your chair across it? Did you use some kind of top coat?

• Caroline

I'm not sure about hers but my concrete paint peeled after a time. I read that I should have sealed it first. This is a great idea and luckily my porch is about the same size as hers. I'm going to start all over and copy this idea!

• Debi53

This is so cute!!

What a difference your "rug" makes.

• Joanie

A rug you don't have to shake!! lol. Cool beans......Great idea and everything looks adorable.