APieceofRainbow
APieceofRainbow
  • Coronado, CA

Christmas Tree From Old License Plates

I have always wondered what to do with my ruggedly charming bunch of license plates, until a light bulb went up one day, when planning our Christmas decorations.
... A license plate Christmas tree!!!
christmas tree from old license plates, christmas decorations, crafts, repurposing upcycling
And a little gift: if you want this tree but don't have old license plates, I made free printables of these plates for you to download at the end, so you can even make a tree with card stock or cardboard! Just don't use printable plates on your car, OK? ;)
Measure and determine where the top plate should be. Start with the first plate: check that it's level, mark the 2 holes at the top and hammer one nail for each hole.
The "Christmas tree" you see here has 5 tiers, plus the "trunk" and the star. The height is about 5' not including the star.
Hang the plate, then start the next row. Each row of license plates goes outside the row above.
To make the star, just print out the templates( see at the end) on card stock. I did not want to cut up these lovely plates, hence a paper FAUX star ! =)
The nails provide the perfect support for fairy lights.
Isn't this tree merry and bright? To see more details or download the free printables of these license plates and star, check out the link below!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 23, 2018 6:13 AM - More info
APieceofRainbow

• Robyn Dunmore

Where do you get old license plates???

• Susan

her file for a printable version is located on the link above that says for more information.. check my blog post..i downloaded it easily.

• Bob T

I could not locate the template for the star. Is it still available

• Margaret R Sarzynski

Definitely want to try this!

• Em
    36 minutes ago

Love the idea. I would consider using regular Christmas bulbs in colors that match the plate colors. The fluorescent balls below detract from the beauty of the tree.