Laura G
Laura G
  • Evergreen Park, IL
Asked on Mar 7, 2013

Any non-chemical/DIY cleaners out there to remove adhesive residue from a plastic jar?

Cyndi Dimanno-ValentineHon4725278Diana Deiley
+10

I love repurposing things and I keep a few jars left over from products that I purchased previously. Usually the labels either peel off easily or after a soak in some warm water. I have a clear plastic container that I just can't seem to remove the gooey residue from. I have tried soaking it, vinager, alcohol, nail polish remover and scrubbing it, nothing seems to work. I know there are products out there, but I thought I would check with ya'll to see if you had a home remedy for this.
  • KMS Woodworks

Try a bit of WD 40, or Goo Gone. I'm surprised the nail polish remover did not dissolve the plastic itself. The Acetone in most polish removers is NASTY.

• Laura G

Oooh, I forgot about the WD40, I'll try that. I think if no one has any other tips, I'll just have to get the Goo Gone if the WD40 doesn't work. I was surprised too that the nail polish remover didn't dissolve it either, but I figured since I was just recycling it, it wasn't a big deal if it was ruined.

• KMS Woodworks

If you remember what this container was...you can go straight to what works in the future. I often recycle peanut butter jars to hold screws in my truck. The cardboard boxes I buy them in just do not last.

• Laura G

I will definitely remember. Its a container that I get when I purchase bath dust for my chinchilla. They are great clear containers with nice screw tops, its a shame to toss them. I use the smaller version, which has a shaker top, to store treats in too. I use those flat sectioned off containers to store my screws and stuff. This might not work for you since it seems like you would be using lots more than I ever would. They do come in lots of sizes and some with adjustable sections, so you can fit whatever you need in it. They even have carrying cases for them, just stack em up in the bag and go!

• Laura G

OMG, thank you so much KMS Woodworks. I used WD40 and it melted the adhesive like butter!

• KMS Woodworks

Before starting my carpentry and remodeling business I worked a dozen plus years in the pharmaceutical industry. My background is in chemistry, biology and engineering, a good working knowledge of chemistry can go a good long way in household project...it also helps with safety. Like never mixing ammonia and bleach.

• Laura G

Holy Moly, that's a lot of information to learn/know. It's obviously something that you can apply to what you are doing now. Good for you!

• Anna M

I know I'm late to this thread but rubbing alcohol will take it off.

• Cool Grammaw

I just recently read about using peanut butter - probably because of the peanut oil. Haven't tried it yet but it sounded logical in a strange way!

• Hon4725278

Regular household mayonnaise rubbed on the sticky will remove it after about ten minutes, let it sit then rub off with paper towel,no chemical residue that way and you are good to go !....good luck!!

• Diana Deiley

Interesting....mayonnaise, I'll have to try that myself. I always use Goo Gone. I was thinking maybe olive oil might do the trick.

• Hon4725278

The mayo works if too stubborn just reapply and let sit longer! Good luck!honcho72@hotmail.com

• Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine

WD40 will remove residue adhesive