Jim B
Jim B
Asked on Mar 7, 2013

Wooden Windows

Jim BKMS Woodworks
+5

Working on getting my presentation finished for my class to be given on Historic Preservation @SEMO U.
  • KMS Woodworks

I have been working off and on a 86 year old home. This home feature lots of 12 over 12 windows. I have been sanding and caulking these for quite some time.

• Jim B

Howdy! For finished woodwork I have found that scraping does a much better job, and no sanding dust! Where have you been caulking, the panes, or because of wood shrinkage?

• KMS Woodworks

Mostly scrapping as it is more effective. The bulk of the caulking is along sash stops where cracks and gaps have occurred. During the summer I was reworking a lot of the pane's putty outdoors. This home suffered some damage from a hail storm and a number of panes were replaced. Unfortunately the crew that worked on them were not very skilled with glazing compound. It looked like they applied it with their elbows.

• Jim B

So, is the caulking for air leaks, or for cosmetic look on the outside? I Love my scrapers!

• KMS Woodworks

A little bit of both...seal and cosmetic.

• Jim B

Have you thought of using a piece of trim, on the outside, and a compressable insulator where top of window meets frame?

• KMS Woodworks

This house has external storm windows

• Jim B

When I see aluminum storms I just have to look and see if the weep holes were caulked over or not. Good luck with your project. Older houses are such a blessing in some ways, but definitely not for the project challenged. It is always a work in progress.